Gauteng Gig Guide - August 15, 2014Comment on this story
• Mbira players (at 12.30pm) and Lollyket (at 7.30pm) at Zoo Lake Restaurant, 1 Prince of Wales Drive, Zoolake Park, Parkview. Tel: 011 646 0058.
• Ghapi and Clint at Casa Toscana Lodge, 5 Darlington Rd, Lynnwood Manor, Pretoria. 6pm. R290 includes dinner. Tel: 012 348 8820.
• Jazz and African Music Nights with Swazi Dlamini and Nqobile Sibeko at State Theatre Pretoria, 320 Pretorius St, Pretoria. 8pm. R80 to R100 at Computicket. Tel: 012 392 4000.
• Peter B Squared, (Pete “Bones” Ball and Peter B) at Tonino’s, 3 Dunottar St, Orange Grove. 8.30pm. Free. Tel 072 218 9812
• DJ Clock, MS Cosmo, Mo Flava, Udu Bobsta as well as Sol Phenduku at Taboo, 24 Central, Shop no 10, cnr Gwen Lane and Fredman Drive, Sandton. 8pm. R50. Tel: 011 783 2200.
• Double Story, Thalia, Sub Tranquil and Mekka Metanoia at Capital Music Café, cnr Keyes and Tyrwhitt aves, Rosebank. Tel: 011 880 0033.
• Majozi, Moses Metro Man and Monark at Arcade Empire, 265 The Highway Street, Equestria, Pretoria East. 7pm. R40. Tel: 087 980 3531.
• Scathamia, an all-male Isicathamia and a cappella group, tell stories through songs at Zoo Lake Restaurant, 1 Prince of Wales Drive, Zoo Lake, Parkview. Tel: 011 646 0058.
• Spikiri and the Kalawa family, DJs Hunose, Tyga, Kam and Jackson at Blue Room, cnr Festival and Arcadia sts, Hatfield. 6pm. Tel: 072 436 5949.
• Velaphi, at Zoo Lake Restaurant, 1 Prince of Wales Drive, Zoolake Park, Parkview. 7.30pm. Tel: 011 646 0058.
• Lesego, Bheki Nqoko, Dj Prie Nkosazana, Miss Ginger and Infinite Boys at Bassline, 10 Henry Nxumalo St, Newtown. R100 to R250. 1pm. Tel: 011 838 9145.
• The Alter Irving Band at the Radium Beer Hall, 282 Louis Botha Ave, Orange Grove. 9pm. R90. Tel: 011 728 3866 or Andy at 083 542 1044.
• Protoculture, Dean Fuel, Zaxx, Stefan Viljoen, 2lani the Warrior, Pimp Squad and more at Carfax, Newtown St, CBD. 8pm. R120 at Computicket. Tel: 011 834 9187.
• State Society, Oct Ainium, Wysdiman, Burning Blue and more at Rumours Lounge, Shop 20 Palm Court Cornelius St, Weltevreden Park. 4am. R50. Tel: 082 208 0324.
• Cameroonian guitarist Tamin at Zoo Lake Restaurant, 1 Prince of Wales Drive, Zoolake Park, Parkview. 12.30pm. Tel: 011 646 0058.
• The Oh So Serious and Zwarte Piet Plat at Tings an’ Times, Shop No 36, Waterglen Centre, cnr January Masilela and Garsfontein rds, Waterglen. 3pm. Free. Tel: 012 993 0234.
• The Rag Tag and Bones Band (Pete “Bones” Ball,) Ronnie (Cheap Seats) Geoff Wilde (Hatrick) at Frosties, 90 Randpark Ave, Randpark Ridge. 8pm. Tel: 082 049 8349.
• Pizzicatos at Zoo Lake Restaurant, 1 Prince of Wales Drive, Zoolake Park, Parkview. 12.30pm. Tel: 011 646 0058. And Wednesday at 7.30pm.
• Mbira players at Zoo Lake Restaurant, 1 Prince of Wales Drive, Zoolake Park, Parkview. 7.30pm. Tel: 011 646 0058.
• Live music at Capeesh?, cnr Middle and Fehrsen sts, Brooklyn. 7pm. Tel: 012 346 1932 or 087 151 4733.
• Bernice Boikanyo at Bassline, 10 Henry Nxumalo St, Newtown. R50. Tel: 011 838 9145.
• Flooze and Die Blou Hond/Casa at Toscana Lodge, 5 Darlington Rd, Lynnwood Manor, Pretoria. 7pm. Tel: 012 348 8820.
• Della Tamin at Zoo Lake Restaurant, 1 Prince of Wales Drive, Zoolake Park, Parkview. Admission fee TBA. 7.30pm. Tel: 011 646 0058.
• Admiral and Jah Seed in the Reggae Sessions at Bassline, 10 Henry Nxumalo St, Newtown. R100. Tel: 011 838 9145.
• An ensemble of old and contemporary music including some bluesy ballads, some popular jazz and some rock at TJ’s Acoustic Club, Mark’s Park, Judith Rd, Emmarentia, 8pm. R25. Tel: Celia at 079 729 0294.
• To be listed in the Gig Guide, please e-mail all gig details, with “gig guide” as subject, to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org by Tuesday.
GIG OF THE WEEK
ANTHONY HAMILTON, JAHIEM AND MAFIKIZOLO
Coca-Cola Dome (tonight)
SOUTH African women have it best. Whenever Women’s Month is upon us, there is a show put on for them. This year is no different.
Coming to the Coca-Cola Dome tonight are America’s finest R&B musicians, Anthony Hamilton (pictured) and Jaheim.
Hamilton is already in the country, and as someone who was also here last year, it is no secret that the singer is in love with South Africa. He has released
hits over the years which include Her Heart, Charlene and, most recently, Pray For Me.
While he is talented, Hamilton exhibits an amazing level of humility which makes him appealing to his fans. This comes through in his live performances and in turn makes them real and rare occasions.
Then there is the equally talented Jaheim, who has given us hot joints like Put That Woman First and Just In Case. True R&B fans who have listened to his
latest album will tell you about his consistency. He has other hit songs like Sticks & Stones and What She Really Means.
His deep voice will mislead you into thinking that he can’t hit the high falsettos, when in fact he can. Listen for those skills when the man hits the stage.
Mafikizolo will add some local flavour to the event. With Khona and Happiness still hot on the charts, theirs could easily be the best set of the evening.
Whatever happens, there will be no other place to be tonight other than the Coca-Cola Dome. Tickets are R495 to R895 at Computicket and you call 0861 915 800 for more information. Doors open at 6pm. – Munya Vomo