Gauteng Gig Guide - August 29, 2014Comment on this story
• Arno Jordaan with Francois and Landman at Rafter’s, cnr Garsfontein Drive and Blesbok St, Pretoria East (opposite Mooikloof Estate). 6.15pm. Admission TBA. Tel: 082 600 3469. E-mail: email@example.com.
• Prime Circle at Casa Toscana Lodge, 5 Darlington Rd, Lynnwood Manor. 6pm. R330 includes dinner and performance. Tel: 012 348 8820.
• Musa Sukwene at Cheyenne Saloon, Carousel Casino and Entertainment World, Old Warmbaths Rd, Hammanskraal. R50 at the door. From 7pm. Tel: 012 718 7777.
• Nyoso with Kalawa’s Udu, DJs Bucks and Pex Africa, alongside Hunose, Tyga, Cheezeboy and Tastey at Blue Room, cnr Festival and Arcadia sts, Hatfield. 6pm till late. Ladies R30, gents R50 before 11pm, R100 thereafter. Tel: 072 436 5949.
• Jazz and African Music Nights with Lindiwe Maxolo and Miss Shirley at The State Theatre, Rendezvous, 320 Pretorius St, Pretoria. R80 to R100 at Computicket. 8pm. Tel: 012 392 4000.
• Beatenberg album launch with DJ Clock, Okmalumkoolkat, Christian Tiger School, Thibo Tazz, Gateway Drugs and others at Bassline, 10 Henry Nxumalo St, Newtown. 9pm. R80 to R200 at www.webtickets.co.za. Tel: 011 838 9142/5/6.
• Gangs of Ballet, New Academics, State Society and Howie Combrink at Arcade Empire, 265 The Highway St, Equestria, Pretoria East. 7pm. R60. Tel: 087 980 3531.
• Boundless City’s relaunch at Venue, 1st Floor, 129 Fox St, Joburg CBD. 8pm to 2am. Admission TBA.
• Coming Soon, Manifesto, Craig P, Killer B, Dre Ama, Double Story and others at Truth, Old Pretoria Rd, Midrand. R150. Tel: 011 315 9295.
• Da Capo, DJ Bubbles and Kid Fonque at Kitchener’s Carvery, 5 De Beer St, Braamfontein. R50. Tel: 011 403 0166.
• Ray Dylan and Ricus Nel at Cheyenne Saloon, Carousel Casino and Entertainment World, Old Warmbaths Rd, Hammanskraal. 8pm. Admission TBA. Tel 012 718 7777.
• Brad S, Byron Ashley, Good for Us, Prince, Speckled Egg and Velvet Gear at Renegade Junxion, cnr Jacaranda St and Malibongwe Drive, Randburg. Free. Tel: 079 896 8847.
• Koan Sound, Black Sun Empire, Far Too Loud, Etnik, Sibot and Toyota, Niskerone, Rudeone, Michael Lesar, Hyphen, Mr Green, Adamski vs Reepa, Benson vs Mr Mon, Das Kapital, Grimehouse, Liver, Metro Ticket, Tommy Gun and Data Takashi at Town Hall, 66 Carr St, Newtown. R250 at the door. Tel: 082 332 5772.
• Juggernaught, Wake to Wonder, Boargazm, Octanium and Hokum at Arcade Empire, 265 The Highway St, Equestria, Pretoria East. R40. Tel: 087 980 3531.
• Reggae with Tidal Waves, Big Trees Band, Velaphi, DJ Agu, Dub Cousins, Lasbon Shatta and Mr Jookz at MiHouse, 36 Roger St, Selby. R100. Tel: 079 957 5161.
• HNQO (from Brazil), HHF, Phat Jack, Ric Norte, Andi Dill, Richard Santana, Stefan and Madelin, Dennis Sheperd (from Germany) and others at Truth, Old Pretoria Rd, Midrand. R120. Tel: 011 315 9295.
• Hoop Mania at the Ernest Oppenheimer Park, cnr Joubert and Market sts, Joburg CBD. Get involved in Joburg’s monthly 3-on-3 basketball tournament at Ernest Oppenheimer Park. Team registration open – R200 a team (up to four players). Noon. (Afterparty at 8pm). Tel: 071 290 9992.
• Kings of House 2014 at Panyaza, 707 Panyaza Soweto. Expect DJ Ganyani, DJ Christos, DJ Vinny da Vinci, DJ Mgedeza and Black Motion. 3pm. R100 to R350 at Computicket. Tel: 011 056 9255 or 083 712 5862.
• Pinkie Fest 2014 at Marks Park Sports Club, Judith Rd, Emmarentia. 1pm. R395 to R1 500 VIP at www. webticket.co.za. Tel: 011 486 6011.
• Steve Newman, Marcus Wyatt and Language 12 at Lucky Bean Guesthouse, 129 1st Ave, Melville. R100. 7pm. Tel: 011 482 5572.
• Johnny Clegg, The Soil, Vusi Nova, Colberth, Mbuso Khoza, Josh Meck, Remna Schwarz and Vidya Shah at Jazz on the Lake, Zoo Lake, 1 Prince of Wales Drive, Parkview. 11am. Free.
• Live Music at Capeesh? Restaurant, cnr Middle and Fehrsen sts, Brooklyn. 7pm. Admission TBA. Tel: 012 346 1932 or 087 151 4733.
• Vibey Wednesday at News Café, At Ease Centre, Shop 1, Gerhard St, Centurion. 8pm. Admission TBA. Tel: 012 664 7201.
• TJ’s Acoustic Club presents an ensemble of old and contemporary live music. Mark’s Park, Judith Rd, Emmarentia. 8pm. R25. Tel: Celia at 079 729 0294.
• Admiral and Jah Seed feature in the Reggae Sessions at Bassline, 10 Henry Nxumalo St, Newtown. R100. Tel: 011 838 9145.
• E-mail all gig details, with “gig guide” as subject, to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com by Tuesday.
GIG OF THE WEEK
EMPERORS FOOD, DRINK AND MUSIC FESTIVAL
Emperors Palace, 64 Jones Road, Kempton Park (today to Sunday)
WHAT could be better than a music, food and drink festival all in one?
Enter the Emperors Food, Drink and Music event, a triple threat festival at which you will be able to get good food and drinks while listening to good music.
If you are a wine lover then you are in for a great treat. You will be able to experience the offerings from fine wine estates, whisky-makers and distillers as well as some of the best meads and
malts. All of this will be available at the Emperors Palate area.
If your mouth is watering by now, then you’ll know this is an event not to be missed.
Next to the Emperors Palate area will be the Amusement Park where entertainment on offer for your little ones will include mechanical ponies, face painters, balloon artists, stilt walkers and clowns.
Taverns of the World is a place where you can sample dishes from Germany, Portugal, Greece and Italy.
The Really Good Weekends Beach will be where it’s at. An incredible 80m stretch of sand has been constructed to make an artificial beach. It is an excellent attempt to bring the coast to Joburg.
Music lovers will get to hear a lot of cool jazz, bluegrass, country and reggae performances at the Beerhouse area .
Tickets for the festival cost R80 a person with complimentary entry for children under the age of 12 years.
Amusement park rides cost R25 a ride. The festival will open today at 4pm, tomorrow at 11am and Sunday at 10am.
Parking will be available next to the five-star D’Oreale Grande Hotel and across from the resort.
• Call 011 928 1297/1213, see www.emperorspalace.com or www.computicket.com.