Gauteng Gig Guide - July 18, 2014Comment on this story
• TGI Friday with Musa, supported by Cheezeboy, Ado, Hunose and Tyga at Blue Room, cnr Festival and Arcadia sts, Hatfield. Tel: 072 436 5949.
• Foo Fighters tribute at Café Barcelona, shop 24, Elardus Park Shopping Centre, cnr Delmas Rd and Barnard St, Elardus Park, Pretoria. R100. 9pm. Tel 012 345 3602.
• Brother and Brother Northern Tour with Barking Trees, Sheldon Payne and the Blue Veins and Carri Wolfe at The Bohemian, 167 Perth Rd, Westdene. 7pm. R30. Tel: 011 482 1725.
• Citocracy: Wonderboom, The Graeme Watkins Project and Rixie Campbell at Rumours Lounge, Shop 20, Palm Court, Cornelius St, Weltevreden Park. 8pm. R60. Tel: 082 208 0324.
• Indie and drum and bass night with Wrestlerish, The Plastics, Feed The Wolf, Phosphene, BenSon, Lil Bow and Kid Robot at Arcade Empire, 265 The Highway St, Equestria, Pretoria East. 7pm. R60. Tel: 087 980 3531.
• Toy Toy: Renato Rodriguez, Ric Norte, Black Book and Grant van Rensburg at And, 36 Stiemens St, Braamfontein. R30 before 10pm, R60 thereafter. 9pm. Tel: 011 447 7996.
• Zebra and Giraffe stripped down at POPArt Centre, Main St Life Building, 286 Fox St, Joburg CBD. 8pm. R100 at 0824722559 or email@example.com.
• The radium jazz trio at the Radium beer hall, 282 Louis Botha Ave, Orange Grove. 8.45pm. Free. Tel: 011 728 3866 or Andy 083 542 1044.
• Music at Meet on Milner, cnr Long Ave and Milner St, Waterkloof. 7pm. Admission TBA. Tel: 083 627 8172 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Jammer en die Oepsies at Café Barcelona, shop 24, Elardus Park Shopping Centre, cnr Delmas Rd and Barnard St, Elardus Park, Pretoria. 8pm. Admission TBA. Tel: 012 345 3602.
• Joe Paul at Gilroy’s Pub, Ngwenya Glass Village, off Beyers Naude Drive and R114, Muldersdrift. 1pm. Admission TBA. Tel: 011 796 3020 or 073 357 2897.
• Crystal Park and the Trevor Rebello Band at the Radium Beer Hall, 282 Louis Botha Ave, Orange Grove. 9pm. R80. Tel: 011 728 3866 or Andy at 083 542 1044.
• Kataklysm (Can)with Sacraphyx, Wrust and Bile of Man with DJs Disturbed and Neo at Carfax, Carfax, Newtown St, Newtown. 7pm. R350 at Computicket. Tel: 011 834 9187.
• Rozo and Bugss, Mike Chi, Craig White, Whitey D’Vine, Metro Ticket, Phizicist and many more at Arcade Empire, 265 The Highway St, Equestria, Pretoria East. 2pm. R50. Tel: 087 980 3531.
• The Plastics Dose of Hypnosis Tour with The Plastics, Monark, Nakhane Toure and Lara Gea at Rumours Lounge, Palm Court, Cornelius St, Weltevreden Park. 8pm. R60. Tel: 082 208 0324.
• Funky G, Kinetik and Richard Marshall at Truth, Old Pretoria Rd, Midrand. R60. 8pm. Tel: 011 315 9295.
• Hippie Mafia, Obsessive Progressive, All in One, Fultronbass and Phocus at Capital Music Café, cnr Keyes and Tyrwhitt aves, Rosebank. 8pm. R50. Tel: 011 880 0033.
• Natalie Chapman and Raoul and Black Friday at Tings an’ Times, Waterglen Centre, cnr January Masilela and Garsfontein rds. Tel: 012 993 0234.
• Akkedis at Saloon Route 66, Hartbeeshoek Rd, Hartbeespoort Dam. 10am to 3pm. Tel: 083 372 8118 or 083 261 2602.
• Richard Thompson at Ngwenya Glass Village, off Beyers Naude Drive and R114, Muldersdrift. 1pm. Tel: 011 796 3020 or 073 357 2897.
• Open mic at the Radium Beer Hall, 282 Louis Botha Ave, Orange Grove. 2pm. R50. Tel: 082 927 5045.
• Michael Lesar, DJ Danger Ingozi and N-Chant at The Living Room, 20 Kruger St, Maboneng. Noon. R50. Tel: 061 402 2843.
• Akkedis at Café Barcelona, shop 24, Elardus Park Shopping Centre, cnr Delmas Rd and Barnard St, Elardus Park, Pretoria. R60. 8.30pm. Tel: 012 345 3602.
• Live music at Capeesh? Restaurant, cnr Middle and Fehrsen sts, Brooklyn, Pretoria. 7pm. Tel: 012 346 1932 or 087 151 4733.
• Matthew Mole at Café Barcelona, shop 24, Elardus Park Shopping Centre, cnr Delmas Rd and Barnard St, Elardus Park, Pretoria. R120. 8.30pm. Tel: 012 345 3602.
• Kirk Whalum at Rhema RAC (Youth Centre), cnr Hans Schoeman and Rabie sts, Randpark, Randpark Ridge. 7.30pm. R275 at Computicket.
• Shaun Phillips at Café Barcelona, shop 24, Elardus Park Shopping Centre, cnr Delmas Rd and Barnard St, Elardus Park, Pretoria. R150. 8.30pm. Tel: 012 345 3602.
• Reggae with Jah-Seed and Admiral at Bassline, 10 Henry Nxumalo St, Newtown Arts Precinct. R100. 9pm. R100. Tel: 011 838 9145/6.
• E-mail details, with “gig guide” as the subject, to email@example.com or munyaradzi.vomo@inl. co.za by Tuesday.
GIG OF THE WEEK
(Tonight to Sunday)
INITIALLY, Prime Circle only planned to have two concerts – tonight and tomorrow – but due to public demand they have had to add a third gig on Sunday.
The shows are two hours long and showcase the band’s best music offering yet. They come to you straight after their European tour of Belgium, Spain and France.
“Each concert is going to be an event, rather than just a show,” said frontman Ross Learmonth.
“This is our first standalone arena tour and our biggest tour of South Africa. Audiences can expect an explosion of feeling and visuals – it’s going to be totally over the top, and we’re all super amped about it,” he said.
Local fans will be among the first to hear new material from Prime Circle’s new album, Let the Night In. Their new single Gone is doing well on radio. If you don’t know much about their new music, don’t worry as you can bank on the fact that the band will play some of their hits from the past 13 years.
While tickets for tonight and tomorrow are reportedly sold out, you can get a ticket for Sunday’s gig. – Munya Vomo
• Tickets R225 to R300 at Computicket: 0861 915 8000.
GIG OF THE WEEK:
John Fresk & Barbora Tellinger
Laughing Chefs, Pretoria
Coming to you are the talented jazz musicians John Fresk and Barbora Tellinger, who aim to give you a night to remember.
Fresk is a Grammy-nominated pianist who has performed many incredible works in the past and continues to release new material from time to time. The pianist has joined the equally remarkable jazz singer and lecturer, Tellinger.
The singer has been entertaining South Africans for decades and seems to be getting better and better. So merge Fresk’s magic on the piano with the songbird’s incredible voice and you have a show to remember.
The pair will be perform songs by composers like Irving Berlin, Cole Porter, Duke Ellington, Carole King and Noel Coward. This is a fine list and it will be intriguing to hear how Fresk and Tellinger interpret these works. – Munya Vomo
• The venue is Laughing Chefs (217 Soutpansberg Rd, Rieton-dale, Pretoria). 7pm. R140 to get in. You are advised to book in advance: 072 511 4946.