• Dassin Makombo at Moyo Melrose Arch, Shop 5, The High St, Melrose Arch. Tel: 011 684 1477.
• Albinobeach, BCUC and Banda at Amuse Cafe, cnr 4th Avenue and 5th St, Linden. 8pm. R60. Tel: 084 555 5252.
• Desmond and the Tutus, PH Fat and Yo Grapes at Rumours Lounge, Shop 20, Palm Court, Cornelius St, Weltevreden Park. 8pm. R80. Tel: 082 208 0324.
• Low Frequency Love with Deeziak, Tha Cutt, Natural Selekta, Point 4 and many more at Capital Music Café, cnr Keyes and Tyrwhitt aves, Rosebank. 8pm. R30 before 10pm, R50 thereafter. Tel: 011 880 0033.
• Roving mbira players at Moyo, Zoo Lake Restaurant, 1 Prince of Wales Drive, Zoo Lake Park, Parkview. Noon. Tel: 011 646 0058. And tomorrow and Sunday.
• 10th annual rally, Mustang Sally, at Saloon Route 66, Hartbeeshoek Rd, Hartbeespoort Dam. 9.30 to 10pm. Tel 083 372 8118 or 083 261 2602.
• Toy Toy host Pierre Estienne, Julz Sanchez, Craig Placid and Dogstarr at And, 36 Stiemens St, Braamfontein. 9pm. R30 before 10pm, R60 thereafter at the door. Tel: 011 447 7996.
• The Radium Jazz Trio at the Radium Beer Hall, 282 Louis Botha Ave, Orange Grove. 8.45pm. Free. Tel: 011 728 3866 or Andy 083 542 1044.
• Join Anita Scott and her trio at Ascot Boutique Hotel, cnr Grant Ave and Algernon St, Norwood. 7.30pm. Admission TBA. Tel: 011 483 3371.
• Cold Fact, Mike Rowe and Ko-Ko and 1925 Band and Mustang Sally at Saloon Route 66, Hartbeeshoek Rd, Hartbeespoort Dam, 5pm. 9.30pm. Tel 083 372 8118 or 083 261 2602.
• Beatenberg, The Shamrocks and Second Floor hosted by Addictshun at Arcade Empire, 265 The Highway St, Equestria, Pretoria East. Tel: 087 980 3531.
• Ivan Van der Merwe at Firkin Pub, cnr Hendrik Verwoerd and Embankment drives, Centurion. 9pm. R40. Tel: 012 663 4213.
• Berg, Sibot and Toyota, PH Fat, Grimehouse, Benson, Ryan Dent, Whitey D'Vine and many more at Town Hall, 66 Carr St, Newtown. 8pm. R150 at www.web tickets.co.za or R200 at the door. Tel: 082 332 5772.
• Rubber Duc at Dutch Winter Faire, 3 Sherborne Rd, Parktown. Noon. Admission TBA. Tel: 076 906 2224.
• KGB at The Radium Beer Hall, 282 Louis Botha Ave, Orange Grove. 9pm. R80. Tel: 011 728 3866 or 083 542 1044.
• Sahin Meyer, Tyan Dent, Weston and Engine, Keren Onay, Mig Madiq, Floyd Lavine, Johan de Kock, Morgan, Elemental, Eddy Virgo and many more at Truth, Old Pretoria Road, Midrand. 9pm. R60 before 11pm, R80 thereafter. Tel: 011 315 9295.
• Teknotribe 11th Birthday Bash featuring DJs Nick Grater, Senjo, Thalia, Doctor Stone, Hydro, Dre'Ama, Stereotype, Bionic, Killer B, Digital Dream, Manifesto, Double Story, Slax, Michael Lesar, Chris Palmer and Toby One at MiHouse, 36 Roger Street, Selby. R150 from www.web tickets.co. za R180 at the door. Tel: 079 957 5161.
• Piet Botha and Jack Hammer at Saloon Route 66, Hartbeeshoek Rd, Hartbeespoort Dam. 10am to 3pm. Admission TBA. Tel 083 372 8118 or 083 261 2602.
• Rimbambira Band (from Zimbabwe) play Afro- jazz fusion at Zoo Lake, 1 Prince of Wales Drive, Parkview. 12.30pm. Tel: 011 646 0058.
• Live Music at Capeesh? Restaurant, cnr Middle and Fehrsen Str , Brooklyn. 7pm. Admission TBA. Tel: 012 346 1932 or 087 151 4733.
• Conrad Cronje and band at Firkin Pub, cnr Hendrik Verwoerd and Embankment drives, Centurion. 9pm. Admission TBA. Tel: 012 663 4213.
• Dirk Van der Westhuizen at Firkin Pub, cnr Hendrik Verwoerd and Embankment drives, Centurion. 9pm. Tel: 012 663 4213.
lAdmiral and Jah Seed for reggae beats at Bassline, 10 Henry Nxumalo St, Newtown, CBD. 8pm. Tel: 082 336 0880.
GIG OF THE WEEK
JOHNNY CLEGG AND SHORTSTRAW
Old Mutual Music in the Gardens, Pretoria Botanical Gardens, Sunday
IF YOU haven’t seen Johnny Clegg, then you have missed out on hearing one of South Africa’s living legends. He has been active since the 1980s, when he was making memorable music
with his then-band Juluka.
His contribution to our musical history includes defying apartheid by releaseing protest music such as the hit Asimbonanga.
He was not spared by the laws of the time, but that did stop him and in the end even Nelson Mandela acknowledged and thanked him for his efforts.
If you have seen him live you will know that he has a tendency to take his audience back to the time when he began his musical journey and walk them through to the present.
Some songs are sad, but others uplifting. For decades Clegg has managed to fuse Zulu music with rock and pop, creating a distinctive blend.
On Sunday the man and his legendary band will headline Old Mutual Music In The Gardens (Pretoria National Botanical Gardens, 2 Cussonia Ave, Pretoria). He will be joined by the indie rockers Shortstraw who are also an act to watch out for.
Tickets cost R150 through the Old Mutual Music in the Gardens Facebook page or at the gardens, and R170 on the day.
If you have children, bring them along as they are welcome at the KidZone for some extra fun and games. Drinks, cooler boxes and picnic baskets are welcome. Gates open at 11am.
– Munya Vomo