Shop our latest arrivals for shoes & apparel now!
GIG OF THE WEEK
FUNNYMAN Sans Moonsamy is up to his old tricks in Funny Bitz, running at The Globe theatre at Gold Reef City Casino.
Mixing together some of the best laugh-out-loud moments from his hit shows Curry on Laughing, Those Indian Guys and Karma Komedian, plus a few new gems, Moonsamy invites you in for a taste of what he calls his “comedy breyani”.
Moonsamy’s mix of slapstick, song, dance and dress-up, not to mention the goofy face-pulling that is surely his trademark, allows his particular brand of comedy to appeal to all tastes. There are some hilarious insights into the Indian experience in SA, but you don’t have to have family in Durban to get what he is talking about. If you’re a Moonsamy fan, you won’t want to miss him revisiting old favourites, as well as treating you to a few new jokes.
Funny Bitz is on until Monday, with shows tonight and tomorrow and a special matinee performance on Sunday at 17.15pm.
Tickets are R120 and are available through Computicket or at The Globe Box Office 011 248 5000.
* Ba-C CD launch featuring Benjamin Dube, Dud, Mpho Mutula, Banele, Noma Mbheki, Gravity and Thoriso at Calvary Worship Centre, Diepkloof, Soweto. R100-R150. Tel: 076 706 5824/ 079 538 9772.
* Ray Phiri and Stimela at Gallagher Estate in Midrand. 7pm. Admission TBA. Tel: 083 207 0787.
* Musos Jam Nite at O’Hagan’s, cnr Baker and Harris Streets, Edenglen, Edenvale, bottom of the Orion Building. 8pm. Backline equipment provided. Free. Ample parking. Tel: 082 719 0605 or e-mail email@example.com
* Ed and Ed at the Cozy Corner Pub ‘n’ Grill, corner of Minuach and Partridge Streets, Highway Gardens, Edenvale. 7pm. Free. Tel: 073 152 7831 or 082 491 8034.
* Working Class Royalty at Boston Rock Lounge, 19 Van Riebeek Ave, Edenvale. R30. 8.30pm. Tel: 011 022 6778 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
* Forbidden Broadway at Con Cowan Theatre, UJ, Bunting Road Campus, Bunting Road, Auckland Park. 7.30pm. R60. Tel: 011 559 4674 or e-mail email@example.com
* Sakaki Mango and the Limba Train Sound System at Fountains Pretoria, Christina de Wit and Eeufees roads. Fountains Valley, Pretoria. Tel: 011 440 2121.
* Shortstraw, Dead Alphabet, Woodstock Mafia at The Bohemian, 5 Park Road, cnr Menton Road, Richmond/Auckland Park. R40 (Ladies R20 before 10pm). Tel: 011 482 1725.
* Tholakele and Bonakele featuring Umuzi Wesikhalanga at Hilbrow Theatre, cnr Twist and Ketain sts, Hilbrow. R50, kids R25. 6pm. Tel: 083 248 7706.
* Forbidden Broadway at Con Cowan Theatre, University of Johannesburg, Bunting Road Campus, Bunting Road, Auckland Park. R60. 7.30pm. Visit www.uj.ac.za/artscentre
* Latino Ritmo at Tanz Cafe, (Old Tanza Night location), The Buzz Shopping Centre, Witkoppen Road, Fourways. R250 (includes dinner). 8.30pm. Tel: 011 658 0277 or 082 855 5445, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
* Eight-time SA Music Awards winner Zahara performs in the Old Mutual Music in the Gardens at The Walter Sisulu Botanical Gardens, end of Malcolm Rd, Poortview, Roodepoort. Spy Four will open for her. Tickets are available online at www.webtickets.co.za for R80, R90 pre-sale at the garden. R100 on the day at the gardens/Ticketbreak. Children under 13 free. 1pm. Tel: 0861 001 278.
* Park Acoustics in association with Jack Daniel’s presents Shadowclub, The Plastics, Laurie Levine and Shotgun Tori at Fort Schanskop at Voortrekker Monument Heritage Site, Eeufees Road, Groenkloof, Pretoria. 11am. R55 online at www.ticketbreak.co.za or R65 at the door. Free for children under the age of six. R5 a vehicle (paid at the main entrance to the nature reserve).
* Shortstraw, Woodstock Mafia, Rambling Bones and Gil Hockman at Mamma’s Shebeen, 18 Gleneagles Dr, Greenside. 1pm. Tips advised. Tel: 072 299 8978. Visit www.mamatembo.co.za
* Battle of the Cover Bands at HighFlyerz Theme Bar, Birchwood conference centre, 11 Viewpoint Road, Boksburg. 2pm. R30. Visit www.birchwoodhotel.co.za
* Wouter Kellerman – World Music that Takes U Places at Atterbury Theatre, 4 Daventry Street, cnr Lynnwood Road and Daventry Street, Lynnwood. R130. 4pm. Tel: 012 471 1700.
* Starship Improvise at Barnyard Theatre, Shop L205, Cresta Shopping Centre, Beyers Naudé Drive, Randburg. 7.30pm. R30. Tel: 0 11 234 2033.
* Afro-Beatz at Carnival City, intersection of the N17 toll road, Snake Road (Heidelberg Road or R23), and Elsburg Road (R554). 8.30pm. R100 entry and meal. Tel : 011 898 7000
* Salif Keita Live at Soweto Theatre, cnr Bolani and Bolani Link rds, Jabulani. 3pm. Admission TBA.
* Roy Schoombie’s Musos’ Jam Nite at O’Hagan’s Rock Cottage, cnr Christiaan de Wet and John Vorster rds, Weltevreden Park. 8pm. Free. Tel: 073 152 7831 or 082 491 8034
* Ridge plays live music at Cozy Corner Pub ‘n’ Grill, cnr Minuach and Partridge Sts, Highway Gardens, Edenvale. 7pm. Free. Tel: 073 152 7831 or 082 491 8034.
* Jazzy Wednesdays at Wish, cnr 7th St and 2nd Ave, Melville. Admission TBA. 7pm. Tel: 011 482 1162.
* If 6 Was 9, Johnny Stalker at Cool Runnings Benoni, Lakefield Road, Benoni. 8.30pm. Admission TBA. Tel: 011 314 5990.
* Open Mic Nite. TJ’s Acoustic Club, Mark’s Park, Judith Rd, Emmarentia, 8pm. R25.00 Tel: 079 729-0294. Join them on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/ TJs-Music-Club/121376754603766
* All That Jazz evening at the Ascot Hotel, 59 Grant Ave, Norwood. Free. 8pm. Tel: 011 483 3371.
* To be listed in the weekly Joburg Gig Guide, e-mail all of the relevant gig information, with “gig guide” written in the subject field of your e-mail, to munyaradzi.vomo@inl. co.za by Tuesday afternoon every week.