Get a child in need a pair of shoes for free
GIG OF THE WEEK
Those who enjoy orchestral music are in for a treat this weekend as the the Royal Symphony comes to town at the Royal Show featuring Pietermaritzburg-born Soprano, Sally Silver who returns from London to play in her beloved home town.
Parklane Superstar in association with the KwaZulu-Natal Philharmonic Orchestra (KZNPO) and the Royal Agricultural Society of Natal present A Royal Symphony; an orchestral concert featuring the renowned KwaZulu-Natal Philharmonic Orchestra.
This 60 player-strong professional orchestra will perform on the Royal Show’s Main Arena Stage under the baton of visiting British conductor, Jeremy Silver.
Replacing the orchestra’s performance at the Concert in the Park, A Royal Symphony offers much for audiences to enjoy in the nature of fanfares, grand melodies and musical splendour.
The programme showcases the orchestra in The Dambusters March, Elgar’s Pomp and Circumstance March no 1, All I Ask of You and many more.
Featured soloists in this programme include Silver who has made a considerable career based in London, with recent performances throughout Europe. Silver will be joined by Lionel Mkhwanazi, the Soweto-born lyric tenor who was recently appointed to the key post of UKZN’s Opera School and Choral Academy Voice Lecturer.
A choir from the Opera School and Choral Academy will join the soloists in selected numbers.
Local baritone Andrew Butler makes his debut with the KZNPO.
* The show starts at 11am on Sunday and entry fee for adults is R45, R30 for seniors and juniors. Pre-school children enter free. Seating is provided on the main arena and on the grandstands. For info, call 083 417 4473.
* Africa Day Concert at Durban International Convention Centre (ICC) Arena, 45 Bram Fischer Road. Line-up includes Zakes Bantwini, Lira, Thokozani and DJ Sgqemeza. 6.30pm. Call Computicket 0861 915 8000.
* The Bellagio Durban at 178 Matthews Meyiwa (Stamford Hill) Rd, Morningside, presents Absolute Heaven with fhm’s Tracy and Kerry McGregor. SABC3 road show with actors and actresses from Isidingo, Top Billing and Expresso. 9pm. R80 guys, R60 ladies, R120 couples, R150 VIP, after 11pm R100 a person. Guest list closes at 10pm sharp. Call 031 811 4844.
* Café Vacca Matta Nightclub at Suncoast Casino, Suncoast Boulevard, Marine Parade, Durban, presents Miss Café Vacca Matta 2012. Including DJs. 9pm. R50 for women and R70 for guys and R100 for a couple. Call 031 368 6535.
l Mojo’s Riverside Hotel, 4065 Kenneth Kaunda (Northway) Road, Durban North presents a performance by Krystle T. Also Toni Rowland and Ross Tapson. 8pm. Free. Call 082 747 9738.
* Bandwagon at The Boardroom, 117 Andrew Zondo (Kingsway) Rd Warner Beach 8pm-11pm. Entrance R15. Keep your ticket for free entrance on Saturday. Call Yvonne 073 318 0112.
* Steve Fataar and guests at Zack’s, Windermere Centre, 163/177 Lillian Ngoyi (Windermere) Rd, Morningside, 7.30pm. Free. Call Steve Fataar 079 988 3724.
* Low Profile launches second album A Vulgar Display of Powerchords at The Venue, 166 Matthews Meyiwa (Stamford Hill) Rd, Morningside. Line-up includes Low Profile and supporting acts E.X.P.L.O.S.I.O.N, DH Weird Beard and DJ Fuego Heat with comedian Jeremy Atkins. 8pm. R50. Call Bronwyn on 082 967 2179
* Hai.bo, 18 Lillian Ngoyi Rd presents Yum Yum featuring artists Dakin Auret, Coco Loco, Kingpin and Bhashkar. 7pm. Free. Call 031 823 4745.
* Hilton Hotel, 12-14 Walnut Road, presents Masti Nites Bhangra. DJ Vishal, DJ Sumz, Romeo Chonco Pops and more. 9pm. R70. Limited numbers allowed. No under-18s. Call Veer 076 599 1707.
* Sasha Nightclub, 18 Harvey Road, Stamford Hill present Gagasi FM Weekend Nightlife Session Special with live performances by Zakwe. DJ Terance. Women free before 11pm. Call Mimi 031 584 5358.
* 101 on Pine Pub & Grill, 101 Monty Naicker (Pine) Street hosts The Art of Hip Hop presents Off The Hook. Ex-Con, Ewok, Lexicon and more. 12pm. R30. Call 072 402 9051.
* Golden Horse Casino’s Sprint Race Day, Scottsville Racecourse, 45 New England Road, Pietermaritzburg, presents female soul duo LoveGlori from Joburg, and other artists. 5.30pm at the Marque Village. www.goldenhorsecasino.co.za
* The Willowvale Hotel presents an urban psychedelic experience, d’Urban Nexus 00, 406 Umbilo Rd, Glenwood. PsyAndy, DJ Budhu, The Sympton and more. 8pm. R60. Call Chantele at 079 890 3921.
* Café Vacca Matta Nightclub at Sun Coast Casino, Suncoast Boulevard, Marine Parade, Durban, presents Arabian Night Party. R50 for ladies and R70 for guys and R100 for a couple. Call 031 368 6535.
* The Bellagio Durban at 178 Matthews Meyiwa (Stamford Hill) Rd, Morningside, presents Seven Sexy Sins with the SABC3 Road Show, see previous listing.
* Fynnlands Sports Club, 55 Smith Drive, Bluff presents Country Legends, Bobby Angel and Billy Forrest (The Singing Cowboys). 7pm. R100. If booked before 23rd, R80. Call Cheryl 083 459 6531.
* Steve Fataar and guests at Hotel on the Park, 296, Stephen Dlamini (Essenwood) Road, Morningside. Midday. Free. Call Steve Fataar 079 988 3724.
* Bandwagon performs at The Boardroom ,117 Andrew Zondo (Kingsway) Rd, Warner Beach. From 8 till 1. See previous listing.
* Locnville perform at Chris Saunders Park (opposite Gateway), 14 Palm Boulevard, uMhlanga Ridge, uMhlanga Rocks. 12pm-5pm. Tickets Computicket. R100 pre-sold, R120 at gates on the day. Under-10 free. Call Computicket at 0861 915 8000.
* Boulevard Nightclub, 153 Florida Road presents a live performance by the infamous hip-hop and R&B, HHP. 2pm. R150 to R250. Call 031 303 7631.
* Morningside presents Sunday Rock Sessions with Salty Dog, The Venue, 166 Matthews Meyiwa (Stamford Hill) Rd, 2pm. R30. Call Bronwyn at 082 967 2179.
* Concert in the Park at Royal Show Grounds, 1 Howick Road, Pietermaritzburg. Jeremy Silver conductor, Sally Silver soloist. 11am. Adults 45, senior citizens (60+) and junior (U12 years) pay R30. Pre-school children, free. Call 031 369 9438.
* Murphy (Music Unlimited) is back at Chandlers, Dunkirk Road, Glenwood. Bring and braai and share. 12pm onwards. Free. Call Quinton at 082 5695 391.
* Braai on the deck at The Boardroom , 117 Andrew Zondo (Kingsway) Rd, Warner Beach, Music with Guy. 4pm. Book your braai pack with Yvonne 073 318 0112.
* Steve Fataar at Java Café, 8 Browns Road, Point Waterfront, Midday. Free. Call Steve 079 988 3724.
* Local blues legend, Dan Patlansky performs at the Barnyard Theatre, Gateway Shop F222, 1 Palm Boulevard, uMhlanga Ridge, to launch his latest album, 20 Stones. Patlansky will be joined by Ard Matthews and Guy Matthews. 8pm. R120. Call 031 566 3045.
* Wallace Nock performs at the Oyster Bar, 2 Lighthouse Road, uMhlanga Rocks. Nock plays a number of instruments including guitar, keys, drums, three different saxophones and vocals. Every evening, Monday to Friday. Entertainment free. 6pm to 9pm. Call 031 514 5000.
* The Blues Train at Zack’s, Wilsons Wharf, shop 23, 14 Boatmans Rd. 7.30pm. Call 031 305 1671.
* Jazz with Lola and friends at Club Casa Nostra, 170 Florida Rd, Morningside. 7pm. Bookings: 031 312 6434.
* Murphy performs live at Coimbra, Queensmead Mall at 95 Teignmouth Road, Umbilo. 6pm until late. Call 031 205 0870.
* Open Mic Night at Musketeers at the German Club, 19 Conabor Road, Malvern. Contact Charmaine on 031 266 0836.
* The Centre for Jazz & Popular Music (UKZN), King George V Avenue, Level 2, Shepstone Building, presents Bheki Khoza, in the final gig for the term. Khoza is a left-handed guitarist who heads his own quartet, which includes Mandla Zikalala, Mncedisi Kupa, Babes Ndamase. 6pm. Adults R30, Pensioners R20 and Students R10. Call 031 260 3385.
* Steve Fataar hosts alternative country outfit Tupelo 3, The Factory and Cloud 9 at The German Club, 7 Barham Road, Westville. 7.30pm. Full menu available. R40 cover. Call Steve 079 988 3724.
* Cathedral of the Holy Nativity, 21 Copson Close, Chase Valley, Pietermaritzburg, presents The John Harper Memorial Concert, with a recital by international organist, Dr Gordon Stewart (UK). 7pm. R50. For info, visit http://www.gordonstewart.org/
* Steve Fataar at Java Café, 8 Browns Road, Point Waterfront, 6pm. Free. Call Steve 079 988 3724.
* To be featured in Gig Guide, e-mail all gig-related details to firstname.lastname@example.org; subject: gig guide, by 9am on Wednesday.