Online music gig to honour MadibaComment on this story
A FREE online-only concert for 67 minutes. This is how cellular giant MTN is celebrating the first Mandela Day since the global icon died.
The tribute concert will be available on live stream for free to all MTN customers at noon today.
It will be shown via the MTN blog page (www.mtnblog.co.za) for the rest of the continent to join in.
Performing artists include Nigeria’s multi-award winning Davido, Emmy Gee, KCee and Harry Song. South African artists include Mafikizolo, producer extraordinaire Oskido, Uhuru and Black Motion.
The concert will honour Tata who would have turned 96 today.
To find out more about the concert, visit www.mtn.co.za.
There are many things to do for Mandela Day. Here are a few ideas:
• Visit a home and spend time with either the aged, homeless or orphaned children.
• Offer free services by painting, cleaning and planting seedlings at different homes.
• Collect tin food, blankets, toys or old clothes to donate to charities.
• Visit and help out at animal welfare organisations to aid our furry friends with no voice.
• Sponsor a child by buying them school uniforms and books.
• Spend quality time with your own family or relatives you haven’t seen in a while.
• Help fix the local community hall, park or church.
For more ideas visit the www.mandeladay.com.
Tshwane Metro’s 67 minutes activities include:
• Mayor Kgosientso Ramokgopa will distribute blankets and food parcels to senior citizens in Laudium.
• He will also take part in the presidential clean-up campaign in Marabastad.
• MMC for health Eulenda Mabusela will visit New Beginnings Orphanage in Laudium.
• MMC for sport Nozipho Makeke will read stories at libraries across the city.
• Chief whip Jabu Mabona will help clean and paint the Sithembinkosi Day Care Centre in Retha-biseng and hand out 67 blankets.
• Finance MMC Dorothy Mabitsela will visit Atteridgeville’s Leseding Day Care Centre and the Christ Day Care Centre.
• Housing MMC Joshua Ngon-yama and community safety MMC Terence Mashego will clean up the Struben Street homeless shelter.
• Council speaker Morakane Mosupye-Letsholo will visit the Baitiretse Day Care Centre in Ga-Rankuwa, the Lesang Bana Day Care Centre in Hammanskraal and the Mamelodi Catholic Church in Mamelodi. – Staff Reporters
* Send photos of your Mandela Day contribution to [email protected] and they could be added to our gallery of good deeds