Hoffman died of accidental overdose

Comment on this story
IOL Hoffman nu VICTORIA WILL/INVISION/AP Phillip Seymour Hoffman

NEW YORK - Actor Philip Seymour Hoffman, who was found in his New York apartment on February 2 with a needle in his arm, died of an accidental overdose of drugs, the New York City Chief Medical Examiner said on Friday.

The cause of death was acute drug intoxication, including heroin, cocaine, benzodiazepines and amphetamine, according to Julie Bolcer, spokesperson for the Medical Examiner's Office.

Four people were charged with drug offences, possibly connected to the substances found at the actor's home.

The charges against one were subsequently dropped and the other three have denied any involvement.

Hoffman, 46, who won a best actor Oscar for his role in the 2005 biographical film Capote, was considered to be one of the finest stage and screen actors of his generation.

Hoffman is survived by jis long-term partner Marianne O'Donnell, known as Mimi, and their three young children Cooper, Tallulah and Willa. - Reuters and IOL

To sign up for our Tonight newsletter click here

To vote on our Tonight poll click here

sign up

Comment Guidelines

  1. Please read our comment guidelines.
  2. Login and register, if you haven’ t already.
  3. Write your comment in the block below and click (Post As)
  4. Has a comment offended you? Hover your mouse over the comment and wait until a small triangle appears on the right-hand side. Click triangle () and select "Flag as inappropriate". Our moderators will take action if need be.

  5. Verified email addresses: All users on Independent Media news sites are now required to have a verified email address before being allowed to comment on articles. You are only required to verify your email address once to have full access to commenting on articles. For more information please read our comment guidelines