Hoffman died of accidental overdose

NEW YORK - Actor Philip Seymour Hoffman, who was found in his New York apartment on February 2 with a needle in his arm, died of an accidental overdose of drugs, the New York City Chief Medical Examiner said on Friday.

The cause of death was acute drug intoxication, including heroin, cocaine, benzodiazepines and amphetamine, according to Julie Bolcer, spokesperson for the Medical Examiner's Office.

Phillip Seymour Hoffman. Credit: VICTORIA WILL/INVISION/AP

Four people were charged with drug offences, possibly connected to the substances found at the actor's home.

The charges against one were subsequently dropped and the other three have denied any involvement.

Hoffman, 46, who won a best actor Oscar for his role in the 2005 biographical film Capote, was considered to be one of the finest stage and screen actors of his generation.

Hoffman is survived by jis long-term partner Marianne O'Donnell, known as Mimi, and their three young children Cooper, Tallulah and Willa. - Reuters and IOL