A burst of character and stage intrigueComment on this story
Don’t miss out on what seems like some pretty fascinating theatre coming up at POPart Theatre in the Maboneng Precinct to celebrate the 40th National Arts Festival that starts next month:
• Watch out for The Old and the Beautiful starring Fiona Ramsay and Tony Bentel on Thursday and Friday (with a special matinée performance directed by Janna Ramos-Violante). It’s a trio that should make the words and the performance sing.
• On June 18 to 22, Dieboek is directed and adapted by Myer Taub from S Ansky’s play The Dybbuk which is regarded as an example of traditional Yiddish theatre. Based on Jewish folklore, the story it tells is of a discontented spirit called a Dybbuk that crosses the barrier between real and non-real to enter and possess the body of young girl called Leah.
• Jemma Kahn, of the magical Epicene Butcher returns with a new work titled Amateur Hour! on June 23 and 24 at 8pm. From the creators of The Epicene Butcher and Other Stories For Consenting Adults, comes a show with fewer words in its title, but more puppetry. It’s described as a lurid, but loving celebration of rank amateurism and the remote outer reaches of show business, where “the show must go on” regardless of whether it should. Featuring 12 (described as astonishing) acts in less than an hour, Amateur Hour! is theatre for the Youtube Generation.
• The Same Old Story – 3 Women and 3 Stories written by Franca Rame and Dario Fo will be performed by Denel Honeyball, Carla Harris and Siobhan King and some puppets on June 25 and 29.
• The F Word: The Unofficial National Arts Festival Preview Show from June 26 to 29
June 26: Starship Improvise hosted by Chris Forrest and featuring Ryan Whittal, Vittorio Leonardi and Richelieu Benoir.
June 27: Who’s your Daddy? by Chris Forrest, also Funnier than Them by Chris Forrest, Deep Fried Man and Warren Robertson.
June 28: That Bushman’s Crazy by Robby Collins and Stand Up 4 Comedy with Eureka Nkese, Gavin Kelly, Prins and Dillan Oliphant
June 29: Goliath and Goliath.
• Bookings at www. popartcentre.co.za