Find the perfect dress for every occasion...
Sunday night’s Rihanna concert has left some fans complaining of lip-synching and a below-par performance.
The Barbados-born singer landed at OR Tambo on Saturday to start the South African leg of her Diamonds World Tour.
The singer was trending on Twitter this morning after her performance at the FNB Stadium on Sunday night, with a mix of adoring messages and not-so-glowing reviews. The latter included allegations that Rihanna was miming some of her songs, did not perform a single costume change, had not performed some of her biggest hits and lacked vitality.
“It was obvious, you know when someone is lip-synching – I was in the Golden Circle, I could see it,” said Sharon Seretlo, a photographer at The Star.
“I’m a die-hard Rihanna fan, but I was disappointed,” she said.
“It was like she didn’t give the energy we wanted from her.”
Another fan said: “I think she was actually lip-synching because, at some points, the words of the song were happening but she wasn’t singing along. I don’t know if she was doing it for the whole show.”
Another fan, Nicole Contini, said there were other problems.
“She had the song choruses playing in the background and sung over them – you knew she was singing because she wasn’t always on key,” she said.
“I wasn’t too surprised as I know she’s a recording artist and her performances aren’t very strong.
“Having said that, I don’t feel the ticket prices were fair considering the level of performance,” Contini said.
Concert tickets ranged in price from R330 to R930, with Golden Circle tickets priced at R850 and VIP entrance going for much more.
The other big talking point was that Rihanna did not perform any costume changes, which crowds have come to expect from major superstars such as Rihanna, Beyoncé and Lady Gaga.
“For me it was great, the only thing that maybe I would’ve expected was for her to go a bit more crazy with the fashion,” said Yanga Soji.
“But the stage was insane and the sound was good,” Soji said.
The managing director of Big Concerts, Justin van Wyk, said he was disappointed by the complaints.
“If music has come down to the number of costume changes, that’s ridiculous,” he said. He also rejected claims Rihanna had lip-synched.
At about 7am, Rihanna tweeted “Mama AfRIHca” along with a picture of herself on her haunches in knee-high camouflage boots with heels while a giraffe standing behind her feeds out of her hands.
Other pictures she tweeted since she has been in the country included one of her kissing a lion cub and another of the South African flag painted on her thumb nail.
Rihanna performs in Cape Town on Wednesday before flying to Abu Dhabi for another show on Saturday.
- ”Why yall complaining? Rihanna has never known how to sing but she’s a good artist. How is she suddenly meant to know how to sing?” – Irene Mathapelo
- ”I still don’t MIME! I had fun though!” – singer and radio DJ Unathi Msengana
- ”My voice is literally gone @rihanna stole the show and my voice i would do it all over again in a heart beat... #DiamondsWorldTour,” – @B_BRYTON
- ”Dear @rihanna I bot 2 vip tkts 2yo CT concert booked a bizniz class return flight. I hear yo show was kak. I hope it’s a lie” – @somizi
- ”People who are disappointed are those that went to see Beyonce... This was a Rihanna concert! The comparisons HAVE GOT to stop.” – Vickie M, @BigVee
- ”Even IdolsSA Wooden Mic was better that thing of a concert. Rihanna I’d like a Rihfund Tjoh.” – Siphelele Gcabashe @LadyGabsie
- ”Things like this Rihanna concert is how God punishes joburg peeps for getting over-excited about EVERYTHING.” – @MasteredKae