Gauteng Gig Guide - March 28, 2014Comment on this story
• Affiance (US) at Arcade Empire, 265 The Highway St, Equestria, Pretoria East. Supported by Only Forever, Poverty of Ideals and Underbelly. Madness. 8pm. R100. Tel: 087 980 3531.
• Prom Class of 2014 at Marks Park Sports Club, Judith Rd, Emmerentia with Gangsterdam and Satanic Dagga Orgy, who’ll covering old-school jams and Lil’ Bow, The Beard and The Mighty on decks. 7.30pm. R40. Tel: 011 486 6011.
• Jackhammer at Café Barcelona, shop 24, Elardus Park Shopping Centre, cnr Delmas Rd and Barnard St, Elardus Park, Pretoria. R80. 8.30pm. Tel: 012 345 3602.
• The Radium Jazz Trio at the Radium Beer Hall, 282 Louis Botha Ave, Orange Grove. 8.45pm. Free. Tel: 011 728 3866 or Andy at 083 542 1044.
• Wrestlerish album launch at Rumours Lounge, shop 20, Palm Court, Cornelius St, Weltevreden Park. Support acts: the Justin Serrao Band and Monark. 8pm. R40. Tel: 082 208 0324.
• LimPOP at Zen, 293 Fox St, Joburg CBD. 7pm. R80 pre-sale. R100 at the door. Line-up: Spoek Mathambo’s new group Fantasma, The Brother Moves On, John Wizards, Motel Marie, Felix LaBand, Bruk Boogie Kru, Eclecto Plaat Japie and Andrew the DJ. R80at www.webtickets.co.za, R100 at the door. Tel: 011 051 4733.
• Rock On with Fokofpolisiekar and Frankie Fire at Firkin Pub, cnr Hendrik Verwoerd and Embankment drives, Centurion. 9pm. Tel: 012 663 4213.
• David Fourie at Die Blou Hond, 5 Darlington Rd , Lynnwood Manor. 6pm. R290. Tel: 012 348 8820.
lBeverly Jayne’s Walk Away CD launch at Tanz Cafe, 1042 Heathway Square Shopping Centre, Beyers Naude Drive, Blackheath. 7pm. R50. Tel: 011 476 4169.
TOMORROW • Celacanto at Café Barcelona, Shop 24, Elardus Park Shopping Centre, cnr Delmas Rd and Barnard St, Elardus Park, Pretoria. R40. 8.30pm. Tel: 012 345 3602.
• Jack Parow, Lonehill Estate, Shadowclub, Graeme Watkins Project, Saving Silence, Evolver One, Fuzigish, Black Cat Bones and Chatherine 5fm at Bosheuvel Country Estate, 54 Glory Rd, Muldersdrift. 10am. R250 to R750, under-10s free at www.webtickets.co.za. Tel: 082 553 2846.
• The Classic Jazz Masters at the Radium Beer Hall, 282 Louis Botha Ave, Orange Grove. 9pm. R60. Tel: 011 728 3866 or Andy 0835421044.
• Baby Jones (Ibiza), Harael Salkow, Shaun Duvet, Misterio, Nick Essential, Kyle Worde, Leo Large, Beat Army, Royal K, Ricky H, Pretty Filthy, Tommy D and Pedro Enrique at The Sands, 58 Wierda Rd East, Sandton. R250. 3pm. Tel: 083 267 0239.
• Reggae legend Colbert Harley Mukwevho with the Family Band at Ha-Mavhele, cnr Church and Potgieter sts, Pretoria. R60. 5pm. Tel: 061 173 2647.
• Fog Fest features Mark Stent, Dave Skinz, Rocca and Martini, Just Juls, EcStacy, Kyle Watson, Poppy (5fm) and many more at Renegade Junxion, Jacaranda St, cnr Dawn and Malibongwe Drive, Randburg. Tel: 079 896 8847.
lPark Acoustics: Desmond and the Tutus, Mike Lesar and more at Fort Schanskop, The Voortrekker Monument, Eeufees Rd, Pretoria. R110 at www.parkacooustics.co.za, R120 at the door, free for kids under six. R10 a vehicle.
• Arcade Acoustic Wednesdays featuring Donovan Born and Stanley June at Arcade Empire, 265 The Highway St, Equestria, Pretoria. 7pm. Admission TBA. Tel: 087 980 3531.
• Joss Stone at Carnival City, Big Top Arena, N17, Snake Rd (Heidelberg Rd or R23) and Elsburg Rd (R554). 8pm. R300 at Computicket. Tel: 011 898 7000.
• Admiral and Jah Seed for rehhae beats at Bassline, 10 Henry Nxumalo St, Newtown, CBD. 8pm. Tel: 082 336 0880.
• To be featured in the Gig Guide, please e-mail all your gig and venue information, with “gig guide” as the subject line, to [email protected] or munyaradzi.vomo @inl. co.za by Wednesday afternoon.
GIG OF THE WEEK
Nokia Rise and Shine Festival
Sandton Central Park (Tomorrow)
While the Easter period will come with its set of parties, you could attend the Nokia Rise and Shine Festival as a warm-up.
To be held in Sandton’s Central Park (cnr Sandton and Grayston drive) the event boasts a number of artists you would not ordinarily see on one stage.
Starting at 8am, you can expect the likes of Jeremy Loops who will provide amazing modern folk music.
If you have never heard him play, his set is something you need to add to your bucketlist.
Yoav is also on the line-up and given his multi South African Music Awards accolades, you will understand why he is a big deal. He not only writes his own material, but sings and plays the guitar. Another one to look out for.
Shadowclub do not need any introduction as they are one of the premium rock acts in the country. They will breathe life into the festival with their loud and infectious brand of rock.
Speaking of household names, Desmond and the Tutus will also make an appearance and they always heighten expectations.
The indie rock band has been in the biz since 2005 and are still at top of their game.
Then there is Bongeziwe Mabandla (pictured) who will spice things up with his Zulu folk music.
The singer and guitarist will take the festival in another direction as he has a somewhat eclectic yet addictive sound.
Other acts to look out for will include Tidal Waves, Andra, Michael Lowman and Dave Baudains who all have something unique to offer.
• Tickets will set you back R150 in advance and R200 at the venue’s gate. For info, e-mail [email protected]