• Big Blues Bonanza at Ligve – The Venue, 166 Matthews Meyiwa (Stamford Hill) Rd, Morningside, with The Gloucester Blues Project, The Eden Rock Blues Band and Bobby and The Dynamites. R50. From 8pm. Call 084 444 8890.
• The Pumpkin Theatre present Return of the Mac and I Love Rock ‘n’ Soul. The five-piece pay tribute to Fleetwood Mac and friends, rock royalty and soul legends. 8pm. R100. Call: 032 946 2121. And Sunday.
• Swagnation at Origin, 9 Clark Rd,Lower Glenwood, with George Daniel, Shapeshifter, Mr Green, Ella G, Bhashkar, Amigo, Veranda Panda, Dash, Night Vision and many more. R60. 18+. Call 031 201 9959.
• Veranda Panda at Tiger Tiger, 67 Walter Gilbert Rd, Kingspark Complex. Bring a toilet roll and get in for free before 10pm. Members: R40, non-members R50. Ashleigh: 079 875 3399.
• Crush, 25 Sandra Rd, Ballito, presents Friday night drinks with DJ Graeme and DJ Blair. 8pm. R30. Call 032 946 3764.
• 47th Avenue Lounge, 47 Intersite Ave, Springfield, presents Old School Fridays with DJ Preggie and the band Fearless. 9pm. R80. Call 071 515 4995.
• 10AK, 33rd Floor, John Ross House, above Roma Revolving Restaurant, Margaret Mncadi Ave (Victoria Embankment), presents DJs Sash and Darli. Free before 9pm. Open 5pm to 2am. Call 082 662 5030 or 082 777 8654.
• Zack’s, North Beach, OR Tambo (Lower Marine) Parade, presents DJ Amigo and guest DJs. 7pm. Free. Call 031 368 6800.
• Zack’s, Lilian Ngoyi (Windermere ) Rd, Morningside, presents acoustic sets hosted by the Hinds brothers. 7.30pm. Free entry. Call 031 312 0755.
• Subterfuge and Skulduggery featuring Funky B, Drone 375, Park, Kallisto, Icarus, Night Vision, Syzo B and many more at Origin, 9 Clark Rd, Lower Glenwood. Doors open at 8.30pm. R60 until 10pm, R80 thereafter. Call: 031 201 9959.
• Holly and The Woods at The Red Door, 5 Quarry Rd, Pietermaritzburg. R10 before 9pm, R30 thereafter. Call 084 555 3112.
• Oppikoppi Countdown Party at Live – The Venue, 166 Matthews Meyiwa (Stamford Hill) Rd, Morningside, withCity of Heroes and Black Math R30. Doors open at 8pm. Call 084 510 3107.
• The seventh Moment of Truth Hip Hop showcase at Pinetown Civic Centre. R10 at the door on the at R10. First come, first served. From noon.
• Veranda Panda, Mark E Mark, Shugga, Bhaskhar, I Am Rogue, Lush, Uncle Filth, Dogfather, Counter Culture, Scoot, Risko, The Kickstand, Rorke ,Kemp and Mongoose at Frothfest 1 at Laughing Forest Wedding Venue, Elysium. R130 for a camping pass, R100 for a day pass. See frothingbeats.com or Facebook page. Call 083 256 4371.
• The Machine Says Yes with Michael Lesar, Cam with a K, Coco Loco, Mugwad, Drury and Dev Lee at Absolute, 258 Florida Rd, Morningside. R50, ladies free before midnight. Call 082 893 7608.
• Rockin’ Back: one-man band Jeff with classic rock at The Galley, Ballito, 17 Compensation Beach Rd. On the deck from noon. Call 032 946 2546.
• Zack’s, North Beach, OR Tambo (Lower Marine) Parade, presents Tropical Beats, a reggae and R&B band. 3pm. Free. Call 031 368 6800.
• Modern jazz concepts at Pharoez Lounge, The Royal Hotel, 267 Anton Lembede St, Durban. Following the live music, the party will continue with the best jazz from the resident DJ. Doors open 2pm. Free. Bookings: 031 831 6800.
• Karaoke with Gordon and Paul at Harlequin’s Sports Club, Garcin Place, The Bluff. From 8pm. Free entry, but R5 a car parking fee for non-members. Call 084 446 3581.
• Rockin’ Back: one-man band with Jeff. Classic rock music at Gordon’s, uMhlanga. 4pm to 8pm. Call 083 660 8012.
• Club 101, Monty Naicker Rd (Pine St), presents jazz with Bongani Nkwanyana. R40 plus one free drink. From 2pm. Call 082 488 4009.
• Karaoke and open mic by Murphy at Merseyside Pub and Tavern, Queensmead Mall, 95 Teighmouth St. Noon. Free. Call Sandro at 031 205 3131 or 072 625 4893.
• Meercats Pub and Grill, 12 Forest Hill Drive, Waterfall, presents Lance Goldman. 12.30pm to 5pm. Sea Level features Lance Goldman from 8pm. Free. Call 031 776 3872 or 079 878 8051.
• Zack’s, North Beach, OR Tambo (Lower Marine) Parade, presents Sensations FM house music from 2pm. Free. Call 031 368 6800.
• Zack’s, Lillian Ngoyi (Windermere) Rd, Morningside, presents jazz and R&B, hosted by Too Close. 4pm to 8pm. Free. Call 031 312 0755.
• Horse ‘n’ Hound, Kenneth Kaunda Rd, (Northway), Durban North, hosts Robbie Dalton. 7pm. Free. Call 031 564 5827.
• Open mic night at Harlequin’s Sports Club, Garcin Place, The Bluff. From 7.30pm. Free. Call 084 446 3581.
• The sounds of Zaffa – brothers Rob and Garth Warren – at the Oyster Box, 2 Lighthouse Rd, uMhlanga Rocks, uMhlanga. 6.30pm. Free. Call 031 514 5000.
• Zaffa – brothers Rob and Garth Warren – at the Oyster Box, 2 Lighthouse Rd, uMhlanga Rocks, uMhlanga. 6.30pm. Free. Call 031 514 5000.
• Often referred to as “The Hendrix of the Sahara”, Vieux Farka Toure performs at The Rainbow Restaurant and Jazz. Toure was born in Niafunké, Mali in 1981. He is the son of legendary Malian guitar player Ali Farka Toure, who died in 2006. 8pm R200. Call: 031 702 9161.
• Durban Music School, 21 Daikonia Ave, presents the National Youth Orchestra Sasol Concert Series. 6pm. R30. Call 083 272 2117.
• It’s Taboo, 226 Matthews Meyiwa Rd, Morningside, presents live music. 7pm. R50. E-mail [email protected]
• Horse ‘n’ Hound, Kenneth Kaunda (Northway) Rd, Durban North, hosts Rockin’ Back: one-man band Jeff with classic rock music. 6pm to 10pm. Call 083 660 8012.
• Live entertainment at Cafe Goa, 6 B Purity Lane, Malvern, with Justin Snyman playing guitar. From 7pm. Call 031 464 7292 or 083 301 3396.
• Live music at Yossi’s Restaurant, 127 Helen Joseph Rd, Call 031 201 0090.
• Mykonos Restaurant, uMhlanga Rocks, presents the Crescendos playing music from the ‘70s to current hits. Today until Sunday. 6.30pm. Booking essential: 031 566 7031.
• Salty Dog hosts open mic night at Harlequin’s Sports Club, Garcin Place, The Bluff, from 7.30pm.Free. Call 084 446 3581.
• Horse ‘n’ Hound, Kenneth Kaunda (Northway) Rd, Durban North, hosts one-man band Robbie Dalton. 7pm. Free. Call 031 564 5827.
• 47th Avenue Lounge, 47 Intersite Ave, Springfield, hosts jazz bands. 9pm. Free. Call 071 515 4995.
• To be featured in Gig Guide, e-mail all details to [email protected]; subject: gig guide, by 9am on Wednesday.
GIG OF THE WEEK:
Durban (next Friday)
THE PARLOTONES will perform an unplugged show at The Barnyard Theatre at Gateway next Friday as part of their national winter tour.
The multi-platinum-selling quartet from Joburg have released six full-length studio albums, headlined the 20 000-seater Coca-Cola Dome in their home town, performed to an audience of a billion at the 2010 World Cup opening ceremony, and were handpicked by Coldplay to open the British band’s stadium shows in Joburg and Cape Town.
Since these four school friends – Kahn Morbee on lead vocals and guitar; Glenn Hodgson on bass, keyboard and vocals; Paul Hodgson on guitar and keyboard and Neil Pauw on drums – formed the band in Roodepoort, Joburg, in the late 1990s, they have aspired not only to have fun making music, but to give back to their community.
Their music has been called indie, rock, pop and alternative. Take your pick.
Barnyard patrons can expect to hear unplugged versions of this award-winning band’s hit songs including Beautiful, Push Me to the Floor, Astronauts
& Dragonflies, Funny Face, Giant Mistake, Here Comes a Man, I’ll Be There, I’m Only Human, Life Design, Sleepwalker, Should We Fight Back and Disappear Without a Trace. lTickets are R200. To book, call 031 566 3045. – Tonight Reporter