END YOUR weekend on a great note by enjoying an evening of jazz music at The Rainbow Restaurant on Sunday.In association with Concerts SA, Nduduzo Makhathini will perform with a full band. A press release states that growing up in uMgungundlovu, Makhathini was surrounded by music as a child. His mother was a pianist and his father a guitarist, and he was exposed to a range of music. He was part of the choir at school and would sing at church, and until he finished school, his voice was his instrument. It was only after High School that he started to study jazz piano.
“I reached a point where my voice limited me from expressing the music, and that’s when I focused on the piano,’’ he says in a statement.
Makhathini has several albums under his belt. He is also last year’s Standard Bank Young Artists For Jazz recepient, a UKZN graduate and a first recipient of the British Academy Newton Advanced Fellowship Masters Scholarship. Currently enrolled in Stellenbosch for his masters in music, he is also a lecturer at the University of Fort Hare. He has played, toured and recorded with Busi Mhlongo, Zim Ngqawana, Feya Faku, Jimmy Dludlu, Herbie Tsaoeli and many others.
The concert is brought to you by Concerts SA and is a joint South African/Norwegian project housed under the auspices of the Stakeholder Hub within the Samro Foundation.It receives financial, administrative and technical support from the Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Samro and Concerts Norway. – Tonight reporter
• Don’t miss Nduduzo Makhathini at the Rainbow Restaurant in Pinetown on Sunday. Doors open at 1pm. Tickets are R100 at Webtickets.
• Tina’s Hotel Function Room, 14 Beryldene Road, Kloof, presents Under Covers until Sunday. R120 at Webtickets.
• Zack’s, Lillian Ngoyi Road, Winderemere, presents acoustic sets with Steve Fataar. 7.30pm. Free. Call 031 312 0755.
• The Royal Natal Yacht Club, Victoria Embankment, presents a combined Halloween and Guy Fawkes party with Salty Dog at 7pm. Free. Call 031 301 5425.
• uShaka Marine World, Wahooz, Bell Street, presents a Latino-themed cultural celebration salsa festival event that will showcase ?music, dance, food and family fun. The line-up includes Manteca, an eight-piece Afro-Caribbean band, Heather Groove, Daniel Sheldon and more. 11am to 6pm. R20. Call 031 328 8000.
• Jameson’s Pub, 25 Dorothy Nyembe Street (Gardner), Guildhall, presents Writer’s Show Off. Call 061 988 1341.
• The Winston Pub, Lower Glenwood, presents Doom Night with Ruff Majik, Goat Throne, Black Math and more. R40. Call 031 201 2652.
• The Jazzy Rainbow, 93 Smiso Nkwanyana Road (Goble), Morningside, presents Afro-jazz artist, Andile Zindela. 11am. R100. Call 031 303 8398.
• The Glenwood Village, at ?397 Che Guevara Road, Glenwood, presents Karaoke Nights at VillInns. 8pm. Free. Call 031 202 2366.
• The Church of the Monastery Mariannhill presents Baroque 2000’s concert featuring KZNPO principal bassoonist Sandra Bailey, soloist in Vivaldi’s Concerto in A minor RV498. 11am. R140 at the door. Contact Michel at [email protected] or 082 303 5241.
• BAT Centre, Afriportico Jazz Lounge, Margaret Mncadi Avenue (Victoria Embankment), presents jazz sundowners featuring singer, Paras Dlamini. 3pm. Free. Call 031 332 054.
• Open Mic Night at Harlequin’s Sports Club, Garcin Place, the Bluff, from 7.30pm. Free. Call 084 446 3581.
• The Glenwood Village, at 397 Che Guevara Road, Glenwood, presents Karaoke Nights at VillInns. 8pm. Free. For more information, call 031 202 2366.
• The Winston Pub, 9 Clark Road, Berea, presents Open Mic Tuesday. 7pm. Free. Call 031 201 2652.
• Zacks, Wilson's Wharf, presents Open Mic Night. Free. 7.30pm to 10pm. Call 031 305 1677.
• The Dutch, cnr Lighthouse and Chartwell streets, uMhlanga, presents singer/songwriter open sessions with Rob Warren. 8.30pm. Free. For further details, call 031 561 6969.
• The Winston Pub, 112 Umbilo Road, Glenwood, presents Wildcard Wednesdays bands’ night. Free. Call 031 202 7889.
• Bertoua Cafe Lounge presents Serious Jazz Sessions. 221A Musgrave Centre, 115 Musgrave Road. The show starts at 4pm. Free.
• Durban Botanic Gardens, 9A John Zikhale (Sydenham) Road, Greyville, presents UB40: Ali, Astro and Mickey. R480. Call 031 309 1170.
• To feature in Gig Guide, e-mail details to [email protected]; subject: “gig guide”, by 9am on Wednesday.