Cape Town - DoubleTree by Hilton Cape Town - Upper Eastside has been awarded the ‘5 Star Green Rating for Existing Buildings’ by the Green Building Council of South Africa.
The hotel is the second property in the whole of South Africa to attain this award.
The hotel was judged and rated on various building features, including:
* Sustainable procurement and purchasing practices encouraging the use of products that are environmentally preferable
* Interdepartmental green operational guidelines
* Operational waste and materials management plan
* Physical displays installed in the hotel facilitating sustainability awareness and education amongst guests and staff
* Indoor environmental quality audits for Carbon Dioxide, Carbon Monoxide, temperature, lighting and acoustic comfort in occupied spaces
* Rooftop organic herb and vegetable garden which are used daily in the hotel’s restaurant
* The building is operating 63 percent more efficiently than the industry in terms of energy consumption
* The building is operating 42 percent more efficiently than the industry in terms of water usage
* Implementation of a green cleaning policy by encouraging the use of green cleaning chemicals
* Occupant comfort and transport modes survey conducted during the performance period.
“Preserving the environment is a key part of Travel with Purpose, Hilton Worldwide’s corporate responsibility strategy,” said Francois Steyn, general manager, DoubleTree by Hilton Cape Town - Upper Eastside.
“We are absolutely delighted with this win and pleased that we are being recognised for our efforts to reduce our environmental impact.”
Adapted from a press release for IOL