DURBAN - Maria Ramos is the Chief Executive for Barclays and joined the Board as an executive director in 2009, according to the Barclays site. She joined Absa as the Group Chief Executive in March 2009. She is also a member of a number of different financial institutions including: International Business Council Executive Committee; Business Leadership South Africa; and the Banking Association of South Africa. She is married to politician Trevor Manuel, who served as the Minister of Finance, in 2008.
Here are a few facts about this incredible businesswoman:
1. Maria Ramos was born in Portugal and later moved to Mozambique and then South Africa with her family.
2. When she was a student she heard about a men only Barclays Bank scholarship. She pushed for the scholarship and in 1983 won the Barclays Bank Graduate Scholarship.
3. She also has her Bachelor in Commerce and Masters of Science in Economics from the University of London in 1992.
4. At the University of South Africa she worked as an economics lecturer between 1989 and 1991.
5. Ramos has worked for various companies with the business sector. She has held executive positions in Sanlam Ltd, Transnet, SABMiller and Remgro Ltd.
6. Between 1990 and 1994 she worked as an economist in the African National Congress's’ Department of Economic Planning.
7. She held office in the National Treasury as the Director General between 1996 and 2003.
9. She was listed at #93 on Forbes list of Power Women in 2011 and ranked #11 on Fortune magazine’s Most Powerful Women list in 2015.
10. Maria Ramos was invited to be a member of the Group of Thirty (G30), an organisation that aims to deepen understanding of international economic and financial issues.
-BUSINESS REPORT ONLINE