Southfield - Ford Motor is cancelling controversial plans to build the
Focus small car in
With its latest move, Ford has fully abandoned its strategy
of relocating small car production to
Read also: New leader for Ford SA as Nemeth heads home
Fields was replaced as CEO last month by Jim Hackett, former CEO of office-furniture maker Steelcase Inc. The company will be testing both consumer appetite for China-built cars and the tolerance of President Donald Trump, who has criticized automakers for importing vehicles from overseas.
“We’ve done a lot of research and consumers care a lot more
about the quality and the value than they do about the sourcing location,” Joe
Hinrichs, Ford’s president of global operations, said in a conference call with
reporters Tuesday. “iPhones are produced in
Ford said it’s also investing $900 million at its truck
After importing initial production of the new Focus cars
The Michigan Assembly Plant now making the Focus will be retooled to produce the Ranger midsize pickup in late 2018 and the Bronco midsize SUV in 2020.
And it frees up from the original plan about $1 billion of capital that we can reinvest in the business, including exciting things that we’re working on in autonomy and electrification and a lot of that work is done right here in the US."