CAPE TOWN - MTN on Thursday reported a quarterly update for the period ended March 2018, showing marginal growth in its home territory of South Africa.
The company said its operations in South Africa recorded year-on-year service revenue growth of 2.5%.
“While lower than our full-year expectations, this improving quarter-on-quarter performance follows the more muted performance in the prior quarter,” said MTN.
Here are the important things that the group focused on:
1. MTN SA reported 132,000 postpaid net additions and 536,000 prepaid net additions. This gives it a total of 29.8 million subscribers for South Africa.
2. MTN SA reported a data and digital revenue, which increased by 12.1% and 17.7% respectively.
3. Outgoing voice revenue decreased by 9.2%.
4. Data traffic increased by 49%, supported by a 14% increase in active data users.
5. Group subscribers increased by 1.9% quarter-on-quarter (QoQ), with net additions of 4.1 million;
6. Active MTN Mobile Money customers increased by 3.9% QoQ to 22.7 million;
7. Voice traffic (billable minutes) increased by 24.2% and total data traffic increased by 56.7%;
8. Group service revenue increased by 9.1%, and group data revenue increased by 26.9%;
9. MTN SA increased service revenue by 2.5% while the EBITDA margin increased by 150bp year-on-year (YoY) to 35%;
10. MTN Nigeria increased service revenue by 14.4% while the EBITDA margin increased 340bp to 41.8% and
11. MTN Irancell increased service revenue by 15.2%.
- BUSINESS REPORT ONLINE