DURBAN - May 4th is known as Star Wars Day in honour of the popular multi-billion dollar movie franchise Star Wars.
The first Star Wars film Star Wars: A New Hope was released in 1977. As of 2017, there have been a total of eight films released including the 1977 Star Wars film.
Here is what you should know about this movie franchise:
1. The first film in the Star Wars franchise Star Wars: A New Hope grossed $775,4 billion at the box office. The film had $11 million franchise.
Star Wars Photo: Facebook
2. In comparison, the latest film Star Wars: The Last Jedi made $1,332 billion at the box office and had a budget of more than $200 billion.
3. According to Forbes, George Lucas the creator of the Star Wars franchise has a net worth of $5,5 billion.
4. In 2012 Disney bought Lucasfilm, the studio behind the first six Star Wars films for $4,06 billion.
5. The two latest Star Wars films Star Wars: The Force Awakens and Star Wars: The Last Jedi were distributed by Disney.
Star Wars: The Last Jedi Photo: Facebook
6. Star Wars: The Force Awakens grossed $2,068 billion at the box office. The film which was released in 2017 had an opening weekend box office of about $247 million.
7. Star Wars: The Force Awakens is the highest grossing film in the Star Wars franchise according to Box Office Mojo.
Star Wars: The Force Awakens Photo: Facebook
8. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, a Star Wars anthology film that was released in 2016, grossed $1,056 billion.
- BUSINESS REPORT ONLINE