The NUM confirmed on Monday that three of the five miners trapped at Kusasalethu mine were NUM members.
NUM Health and Safety Secretary Erick Gcilitshana said "The NUM want to take this opportunity to applaud the braveminers who went underground with the Proto team who assisted in the recovery of the bodies especially the third body found early hours this morning. We respect the role and sensitivity of the work of the proto team”.
Read also: Trapped Lily Mine workers must be recovered
"One of the three deceased miners whose bodies were retrieved was a 25-year-old miner who buried his father last month and he left a three-month-old son. It is painful and sad for the family. The lives of workers must always be prioritized to save lives. A safe work place is a productive workplace. We believe that working as a collective team, we can save lives and achieve zero harm," said Gcilitshana.
The NUM conveys its deepest condolences to the families of the deceased during this difficult time.
-BUSINESS REPORT ONLINE