Jacky Poking, the secretary for the Bo-Kaap civic and ratepayers’ association, on Tuesday said the City had already concluded a public participation process into the proposed Heritage Protection Overlay Zone (HPOZ).
City officials had first called for public input into the HPOZ in late December 2015. Since then there has been no progress with the document that outlines how Bo-Kaap’s heritage could legally be protected by the City.
Plato said: “Due to the period of time that has passed, officials from the City’s heritage management department have advised that a new round of public participation will need to take place.
“We want to ensure that we follow due process and that we do not cut corners in dealing with this very serious matter.”
Plato said the recommendation for public participation would be made to the City council on December 13.
“Should council agree with the recommendation, we will ensure that the public participation process is undertaken as soon as possible, and that this process is conducted with urgency and intent,” said Plato.
Poking said this was yet another “delay tactic” from the City.
“I’m questioning the motives behind it. This looks like another delay tactic because we know there are all these developments that are going on in Bo-Kaap. This means they can continue with their projects,” said Poking.
Bo-Kaap residents have repeatedly called on local and national government officials for legal heritage protection for the area that was established in 1763. They claim property developers are wiping out their heritage.@yazkam