Five DA councillors quit at crucial #DeLille Council meeting
Cape Town - Five DA City of Cape Town councillors resigned mere minutes before a City council meeting started.
The five are:
1. Chief Whip Shaun August (the second most powerful position in council)
2. Siya Mamkeli (Area Based Mayco Member - Mini Mayor)
3. Suzette Little (Area Based Mayco Member - Mini Mayor)
4. Greg Bernado (Atlantis councillor)
5. Thulani Stemela (Mfuleni councillor)
August was the first to go.
As he left he said: “Mayor, this would have been your last day at the council. But I am telling you that this will not be your last. I cannot stand the abuse by this party."
August then walked out of the council chamber.
Mamkeli and Little also walked out, to cheers from the ANC seats.
Other senior DA councillors were visibly dumbstruck.
Council Speaker Dirk Smit called for a break before council resumed.
Other councillors who walked out were aggrieved, shouting slurs. All of them hugged mayor Patricia de Lille as they left.
DA deputy chair of the party’s federal executive Thomas Walters said the move had been anticipated.
“This kind of thing happens at elections. Many of the obstacles in the matter has now gone. It’s business as usual for us,” he said.@JasonFelix