Police investigating the murders of six women in the Southern Cape and Boland are still not certain when the DNA test results will be released. File picture.
Cape Town - Police investigating the murders of six women whose bodies were found in various parts of the Southern Cape and Boland are still not certain when the DNA test results will be released to establish any possible links with a suspect who was arrested and charged for two of the murders.

Zimbabwean Linos Suluman Chibetu, 32, was arrested on February 9 and has since appeared in court for the murder of a 38-year-old victim in Swellendam in December last year, and a 47-year-old teacher, Lungelwa Dangatye, in December 2017.

Dangatye was found murdered inside her shack in JCC Camp informal settlement in kwaNonqaba township near Mossel Bay.

Southern Cape police spokesperson Captain Malcolm Pojie said the team was waiting for the results so that the families of the deceased could be notified.

“We are still waiting for the DNA results. The 32-year-old has still only been charged for the murder of the two women; we will only know if more charges will be added when the results are released.

“There is a backlog at the forensics lab, we just need to be patient. Yes, we are also concerned and families need to know the truth,” said Pojie.

On Monday, a community leader in the area of Da Gamaskop, Linden Daker, said the families needed closure.

“Yes, people are waiting. They want to know how this person managed to kill so many women without anyone knowing.

“The police have done their work and we congratulate them for that, now we want justice to take its course.

“This used to be a quiet area, but now after all these murders people have started to panic.”

Chibetu is expected to appear in the Swellendam High Court on March 26 for a bail application.

@TheCapeArgus

[email protected]

Cape Argus