Independent Online

Thursday, May 26, 2022

Like us on FacebookFollow us on TwitterView weather by locationView market indicators

Rival taxi associations still keeping their minibus taxis off the roads

It is still not yet clear when rival taxi associations would allow their minibus taxis to resume operations in some parts of the Cape Town metropole. Picture Leon Lestrade. African News Agency/ANA.

It is still not yet clear when rival taxi associations would allow their minibus taxis to resume operations in some parts of the Cape Town metropole. Picture Leon Lestrade. African News Agency/ANA.

Published Jul 30, 2021

Share

Cape Town - It is still not yet clear when rival taxi associations would allow their minibus taxis to resume operations in some parts of the Cape Town metropole.

The Cape Amalgamated Taxi Association (Cata) and the Congress of Democratic Taxi Associations (Codeta) suspended their services three weeks ago, during the peak of the taxi violence which left more than 20 people killed this month, and 86 people killed since January.

Story continues below Advertisement

Transport and Public Works committee chairperson in the provincial legislature Ricardo Mackenzie yesterday convened an urgent meeting to discuss the recent disruptions in the taxi industry.

During the meeting, the committee reviewed efforts to combat the violence, with the stakeholders including Community Safety MEC Albert Fritz, Transport and Public Works MEC Daylin Mitchell, the national Department of Transport, SA National Taxi Council (Santaco), the police, Golden Arrow Bus Services, the Passenger Rail Agency of SA and safety and security Mayco member JP Smith.

Mackenzie said, along with counterparts at the National Assembly, they should also review legislation relevant to the taxi industry in particular.

Cata general secretary Mandla Hermanus said there was still no way forward on when their taxis would resume operations.

Meanwhile, Codeta spokesperson Andile Khanyi said their taxis were in operation, even though commuters were still in fear.

Mitchell said it had been an intensely disturbing period for many levels and sectors of the society.

Story continues below Advertisement

“Lives have been lost, ordinary citizens have been threatened, businesses interrupted at a time when our society is already under lockdown pressure of Covid-19,” he said.

Fritz said provincial traffic authorities have recalled officers from rest days to bolster the number of officers available for deployment.

[email protected]

Story continues below Advertisement

Share