Residents previously gathered outside the Western Cape High court as the matter of the Stellenbosch land-grabbers has been taken to court. Picture: Zodidi Dano/Cape Argus
Cape Town - A trial date has been set for the Stellenbosch land-grab eviction case.

On Thursday, the Western Cape High Court set the date of October 25.

The eviction application is brought forward by Louiesenhof Wine Estate landowners in a bid to remove close to a thousand illegal occupiers from the Watergang farm.

The illegal occupiers, Kayamandi backyarders, are adamant that they would not vacate the land. They have been served with at least two interdicts, on May 25 and August 3.

The occupiers are remaining on the land until the Prevention of Illegal Eviction has been filed.

A large crowd protested outside court, calling for the eviction not to be granted. People held up posters and placards, and sang with knobkieries in hand.

They said they would not vacate the land.

Community leader Midas Wanana said they were not happy that the issue was before court, but they would follow the process.

“We will remain there. This land was vacant for years before being sold to bidders, hectare by hectare, while we were suffering, living four to five people per hokkie (shack) in people’s backyards and continuously worrying about rent payment.

“We have had enough. We are not going anywhere,” he said.

[email protected]

Cape Argus