ACCUSED: Mario-César Deus Yela is accused of murdering his twins. Picture: Facebook
Cape Town - The case against the Spanish dentist who is accused of killing his twins has been postponed to September 3.

Mario-César Deus Yela, 49, from Barcelona, Spain, is accused of killing his twins Octavia and Maximo at a luxury holiday complex in Hout Bay in April last year.

The case was postponed in the Western Cape High Court on Monday. The State and defence told the court they were inundated with other matters.

Deus Yela was dressed all in black, stood quietly in the dock, and looked unkempt and frail.

According to reports, his ex-wife Julia Engelhorn found the bodies of her 3-year-old twins in a bedroom after he invited her for lunch. When she arrived, he allegedly told her he had killed their children. The couple have a third child who was at school at the time of the killings.

The man arrived in South Africa in March last year, and found a holiday home and an au pair for the children so he could spend more time with them.

Deus Yela is also accused of threatening to stab Engelhorn, who is said to have run to a security guard for help. He is also accused of stealing Engelhorn’s Toyota Prado.

Deus Yela remained in police custody after his bail application was previously denied by Magistrate Goolam Bawa in the Wynberg Magistrate’s Court in September last year. 

[email protected]

Cape Argus