Accused in Joe Slovo taxi rank killings granted bail
Share this article:
CAPE TOWN - The man accused of killing four people at the Joe Slovo taxi rank in Milnerton has been granted R10 000 bail with conditions prohibiting him from making contact with witnesses.
Mbongeni Songo, 41, appeared in the Cape Town Magistrate’s Court on Tuesday. He has been charged with four counts of murder and three counts of attempted murder.
Three people were killed on the scene. A fourth person was rushed to hospital but died of his injuries.
On September 22, Simphiwe Mpume, Mkululi Mkhosana, Anga Mkhosana and Asanda Sipondo were shot and killed at the Joe Slovo taxi rank in Milnerton just after 9am.
Songo was arrested in the Nyanga area by detectives from the Western Cape police Taxi Violence Unit who allegedly also seized a firearm during the arrest.
Last Tuesday Songo was remanded to a prison hospital for treatment of a serious medical condition.
The State said it would oppose bail.
National Prosecuting Authority spokesperson Eric Ntabazalila said Songo’s case had been postponed to February 8 next year for further investigation
“The accused was granted R10 000 bail with conditions that he must not make contact with witnesses (and) not go to Joe Slovo, Dunoon or Milnerton taxi ranks.”
Provincial police spokesperson Brigadier Novela Potelwa said indications at the crime scene were that the shooting was linked to conflict within the taxi industry.
More than 80 people have been killed in the province this year.