Independent Online

Tuesday, June 28, 2022

Like us on FacebookFollow us on TwitterView weather by locationView market indicators

Child ‘killer’ Smit may face more criminal charges

Alleged self-confessed child murderer, Daniel Smit.

Alleged self-confessed child murderer, Daniel Smit.

Published Feb 8, 2022

Share

CAPE TOWN - Alleged self-confessed child murderer, Daniel Smit, might face more criminal charges as the investigation into the kidnapping and murder of Jerobejin van Wyk, 13, unfolds.

Smit, 56, appeared in the Klawer Magistrate’s Court on Monday where tempers flared as the community protested outside court, voicing their scorn at the heinous crime.

Story continues below Advertisement

National Prosecuting Authority spokesperson, Eric Ntabazalila, said Smit faces charges of murder, kidnapping, assault with intent to cause grievous bodily harm and defeating the ends of justice.

“The first appearance is in connection with the murder of 13-year-old Jerobejin van Wyk.

“The case has been postponed until April 26, 2022, for further investigation.

“The accused's lawyer has indicated that the accused does not intend to apply for bail. If he does apply for bail, the State will oppose the application,” said Ntabazalila.

Train driver Smit had allegedly confessed through his lawyer that he had murdered the boy, with the motive behind the brutal murder attack being that the boy and his friends had allegedly stolen mangoes at the man’s property last week.

The man was arrested by SAPS after human remains - an ear, intestines and a kidney - were found in a sewerage pipe on his property.

Story continues below Advertisement
The man was arrested after human remains were found in a sewerage pipe on his property.

Police spokesperson, Andre Traut, had said: “Our investigation into the disappearance of a 13-year-old boy led to the arrest of a 56-year-old man in Klawer on a charge of kidnapping. According to reports the missing boy was accused of stealing fruit at the suspect’s residence in Second Avenue on Wednesday 2 February and was pursued by him.

“The boy has since not been seen. Investigation led detectives to the suspect’s residence in the afternoon where human remains were discovered in a sewerage pipe on the premises. The body of the victim is yet to be found and it is too soon to speculate on the identity of the remains that were found. Our investigation has not been concluded and our forensic experts are still in the process of examining the crime scene in search of more leads.

“The charge has since been changed to murder,” Traut had said.

Story continues below Advertisement

Community activist and director of Rural and Farmworkers Development Organisation, Billy Claassen, has pleaded with residents and political parties not to politicise the matter and “rather support the mother during this difficult time”.

“Let’s not play politics with the child’s (murder). Let’s not sow hate and division and let’s help the mother find closure. Let's not play different races off against each other in the community. Support the mother and contribute to her healing journey. It’s going to take a long time,” said Claassen.

Cape Times

Story continues below Advertisement

Share