Mayor Patricia de Lille Photo: African News Agency (ANA)
The Gauteng businessman who claimed Mayor Patricia de Lille had attempted to solicit a multimillion-rand bribe from him was struck off the roll of attorneys following a probe in 1998.

Anthony Faul made headlines last month after he claimed De Lille had sought about R5 million in exchange for her endorsement of his venture to provide fire extinguishers to informal settlements in Cape Town. He provided an affidavit to the DA.

The alleged bribery incident, which De Lille had dismissed as yet another attempt to smear her, happened almost five years ago.

The Cape Times has since established that Faul was struck off the roll of attorneys on September 17, 1998, in terms of an order granted by the High Court in Pretoria.

Yesterday, the Law Society of the Northern Provincescould not provide reasons why Faul was struck off the roll, saying those details were in a court file.

Approached for comment yesterday, Faul said: “Let me put it to you that although I was struck off the roll that was due to the advocate that did not understand the procedures properly. Secondly, I was never charged by the Law Society.

“I was never charged with any criminal act. There were never shortages (of money) in the trust account at all; in fact at the time I sold my practice I was still practising and after I had sold my practice, I was then removed off the roll.”

Faul said he was in the process of being readmitted