Independent Online

Friday, August 19, 2022

Like us on FacebookFollow us on TwitterView weather by locationView market indicators

Former Cape Music Institute director to face rape, sexual assault and grooming charges

Published Nov 3, 2021

Share

CAPE TOWN - The Kuilsriver man and former Cape Music Institute director, who cannot be named due to a court order, remains out on bail of R1 000.

National Prosecuting Authority spokesperson, Eric Ntabazalila, said the matter before the Blue Downs Regional Court was postponed to April 11, 2022 , for plea and trial.

Story continues below Advertisement

The 49-year-old muso faces charges of rape, sexual assault and grooming after a former student of his lodged complaints against him.

The young man, identifying himself as the musician's victim, broke his silence last year and earlier this year when he took to social media posting a video under the page Say His Name campaign on Facebook.

At a previous court appearance, the bail conditions for the artist were amended by agreement of all parties, Ntabazalila said.

Story continues below Advertisement

“The new bail conditions indicated that the accused is allowed to visit his address in Soneike between 6pm on a Friday until Sunday 6pm but he must stay at the premises,” said Ntabazalila.

Meanwhile, the alleged rape case against former City official Raphael Martin will also get under way in the new year.

A trial date has been set for Martin, who has been accused of raping a 13-year-old girl.

Story continues below Advertisement

Martin is currently out on bail of R1 000 and will return to court for his plea and trial date on January 18, 2022, at the Mitchells Plain Regional Court.

Cape Times

Related Topics:

Crime and courtsGBV

Share