Cape Town - The possibility of more arrests has not been ruled out, police said, as one man is expected in court on Thursday in connection with the mass shooting which left four people dead and one wounded in Tulbagh.
A 29-year-old undocumented Lesotho national was arrested on Tuesday and is set to appear in the Tulbagh Magistrate’s court.
Police spokesperson Andrè Traut said the investigation of the mass murder was still underway and the possibility of more arrests was not excluded.
“The meticulous investigation into the circumstances that left four male victims killed and another one injured on Saturday evening in Tulbagh led to the arrest of a suspect.
Detectives attached to the Western Cape Serious and Violent Crime Investigation Unit pursued all avenues and conducted their search for a known drug dealer in the local Marikana informal settlement, which resulted in the arrest of a 29-year-old undocumented Lesotho national.
The suspect is scheduled to make his court appearance in Tulbagh where he will face four murder charges and one attempted murder charge,” said Traut.
Marikana informal settlement ward councillor, Elizabeth Disego said now that there had been an arrest, residents may be more confident in sharing information with authorities.
“People still want to know where the firearms came from and they want the law to take its course.
“We had a community meeting on Tuesday night and we have committed ourselves to work with the Saps and provide them with whatever information they need as long as it will lead to the arrests of other suspects.
During our meeting people raised the issue of the absence of electricity in the area.
We have heard their cry and I will work with the municipality to make sure it is being delivered so that our people are safe,” said Disego.
Anyone with information about the incident can contact Brigadier Makhaya Mkabile at 082 222 6744 and Lieutenant-Colonel Bonginkosi Libaya at 082 411 2042.
Alternatively contact Crime Stop at 086 0010 111 or SMS Crime Line at 32211.