Cape Town – The travel agent accused of swindling newlyweds out of their honeymoon is out of jail after she was granted bail of R3 000. But her freedom appeared to have been shortlived.
While arrangements were being made to pay the bail, detectives from Milnerton Police Station, armed with a stack of case dockets, told the woman’s lawyer, only identified as Advocate Snyer, that they would be placing Crescenda Meyer, 48, back under arrest.
However, provincial police could not confirm whether Meyer had been rearrested on Wednesday afternoon.
Earlier in court, Detective S Mawethu took the witness stand, saying the defrauded honeymoon couple, Andre and Michelle Ford went to the police station after they discovered that they had no airline tickets for their trip to Thailand.
He also said that he had confiscated Meyer’s passport.
The State opposed bail, saying Meyer could fool other victims in the future.
Snyer indicated his client would be pleading not guilty to the fraud charge.
Last week, newlyweds Andre and Michelle Ford said Meyer scammed them out of R22 000 after they paid her but the trip to Thailand never materialised.
The couple also spent R20 000 on bags, clothing and transport abroad.
The court heard that Meyer would be granted R3 000 bail but that she would have to report to Claremont Police Station three times a week. She was warned to be back at court on December 10.
Meyer is alleged to have conned several people, some as far afield as Johannesburg, to a total of R1 million. Meyer’s modus operandi, according to the State, is to gain her clients’ trust, take their money and then produce fake travel documents.