Two new safe houses open their doors to victims of GBV
Share this article:
Cape Town - Two new safe houses, to support victims of gender-based violence (GBV), have opened in the Garden Route.
Protea House for Women and Peonies House for Women were launched on Friday.
The opening of these shelters comes after the initial announcement by the national Minister of Public Works Patricia De Lille, on March 4 last year, that six national government-owned properties, in the Western Cape, would be made available as safe havens for women and children.
About the opening of the shelters, Social Development (DSD) MEC Sharna Fernandez said: “Every woman or child violated is one too many. By working together, we can have #OneVoice united against gender-based violence – 365 days of the year.
“I would like to thank the national Department of Public Works and Infrastructure (DPWI) for availing six properties in rural areas, across the Western Cape, to be used as safe spaces for victims of violence and abuse.
“I wish to take this moment to extend my sincere thanks to our NGOs, social workers, community policing forums, neighbourhood watches, communities, and all other stakeholders. Thank you for your contributions to supporting victims of GBV and, by doing so, helping us in our fight against the scourge of GBV,” said Fernandez.
The provincial Department of Social Development has partnered with MOSAIC Training Service and Healing Centre to combat abuse and GBV. MOSAIC will lead the charge in rendering emergency shelter accommodation to victims of crime and violence, and their children, in the Garden Route and surrounding regions.
The criteria to be admitted to both safe houses located, in the Garden Route, are as follows:
• Experiencing physical and life-threatening circumstances
• Victims of intimate partner violence
• Victims of domestic violence
• Victims of sexual and physical assault
• All denominations, races and cultures