Police and emergency services arrive at the home of the Khan family on the Berea, where two bombs were delivered hidden in a ‘Get Well’ gift at lunchtime on Friday. Picture: Leon Lestrade
Durban - It has been almost a year since a parcel bomb exploded at a Durban home - and police are no closer to finding the people behind the attack.

It is believed that the Hawks are waiting for the results of forensic tests.

Hawks national spokesperson Brigadier Hangwani Mulaudzi said while the case remained open, no arrests had been made.

Deputy mayor Fawzia Peer said it was concerning that 10 months later, no headway had been made in the case.

“A parcel bomb exploded where people were severely wounded and we still have no forensic findings. This is a travesty when one considers the fact that a bomb exploded in our city,” she said.

Peer said the police and the Hawks should not take the matter lightly.

“It is a bomb we are talking about. Without the forensic reports, this will be a carte blanche entry to our city. We are very concerned that it has been almost a year now and we have seen no forensic report,” she said.

It is alleged that a package was delivered to the family just after lunchtime. Accompanying the package was a bouquet of flowers with a card that read: “Get well soon Mom.”

The bomb was triggered when Zakaria Khan opened the card. A second bomb was detonated by the explosives unit.

Rescue Care spokesperson Garrith Jamieson said when they arrived at the scene, Khan, his wife, Maseeha, and his grandmother, Sara-Bibi Khan, had been taken to hospital.

Khan had been put into a medically-induced coma, while Maseeha and Sara-Bibi sustained cuts from shrapnel.

It is believed that the parcel was meant for Khan’s father, Saleem.

This was not the first attack on the family. Earlier last year, two of Saleem’s cars were set alight while they were parked in the family’s garage.

Family spokesperson Nawshaadh Khan declined to comment on the matter on Monday.

Daily News