Durban - A second person has died following a shack fire at the Foreman Road informal settlement that left hundreds of people displaced at the weekend. Eric Mpanza died just days after his two-year old son, Sisipho Xulu, succumbed to his injuries in hospital. It is alleged that the fire started after a candle fell over in one of the shacks.
Shackdweller advocacy group, Abahlali baseMjondolo, said Mpanza was a Mozambican national.
Thapelo Mohapi, the group’s General Secretary said they will do what they can to ensure that Mpanza’s body is returned to Mozambique.
“We will work to rebuild the community, and to organise to fight future fires together and to work with the fire department, and to struggle against the oppressive conditions that leave some of us to die in shack fires while others sleep safely at night,” Mohapi said.
By Sunday afternoon, residents had made their way back to the site where they began salvaging their personal belongings and rebuilding their homes.
Meanwhile, a food and clothing collection drive has been started by Satish Dhupelia of the Gandhi Development Trust spokesperson.
“There is a committee in place and there is a list of the affected. When clothing is donated it is sorted out according to size and sex and then distributed according to the list,” he said.
Those wanting to donate, can contact Dhupelia on 083 53 98 202 or drop the items off at the Engen Garage (Woolworths) at 45th Cutting.