Hawks investigating incendiary devices found in Durban. Picture: IOL

Durban - POLICE,  the Hawks and crime intelligence officials were investigating the six incidents in which incendiary devices were found in public spaces in and around Durban since Thursday last week. 

National police spokesperson Vish Naidoo said although he could not comment if the incidents were linked, he called for calm. 

"People shouldn't be alarmed. We are making every effort to find out who is responsible for these incidents and the motive behind it."

On Thursday there were devices found in the Woolworths store in Gateway and Pavilion and again at Woolworths in Gateway on Saturday. 

Read: Another bomb discovered at Woolworths in Gateway

There was alarm after two devices were also found around the Vodacom Durban July precinct. 

On Monday police cordoned of the area in Pavilion after receiving a call about a device, which turned out to be a security tag. 

And on Monday night an explosive device was detonated in a popular grocery store in Austerville Drive, Wentworth.

Naidoo said these devices had no capacity or capability to cause an explosion. The incendiary devices are designed to start fires.

Read: KZN premier calls for calm afer bomb-like devices found in public places

Naidoo sent out a warning to those making hoax messages. 

"It is a serious offence and offenders will be punished in accordance with the law and could face jail time."

He said that it was also an offence to waste police resources time. 

DAILY NEWS