Gifts on the market
Can’t face the malls? Head for a market, gallery or a pop-up shop, support local crafters and buy something handmade or home-baked. Some have commercially-produced items as well, so shop around and you will find something special, writes Lindsay Ord
* En-sem-ble Pop Up shop, Windermere Centre, Lilian Ngoyi road, Morningside, Durban. Open Monday to Friday from 8.30am to 5pm, Saturdays from 8.30am to 3pm and Sunday from 9am to 1pm, until December 31. Handmade items by local crafters, and educational toys from local businesses. Enquiries: Tina at 082 852 3688.
* iHeart Market, Moses Mabhida Stadium, Durban, on Saturday December 17 from 9am to 2pm. Stocking fillers, handcrafted goods and home-made treats by local foodies and crafters. Enquiries: http://iheartmarket.blogspot.com
* KZN Christmas Market Festival, St Agnes Church, 53 Abelia Road, Kloof, from December 16 to 20, Tuesday to Friday 9am to 8pm, Saturday 9am to 1pm. More than 200 stalls with crafts and gifts, and a food court and entertainment for children. Enquiries: Deborah at 083 267 2424.
* Essenwood Market, Stephen Dlamini Road, Durban, on Saturdays from 9am to 2pm. Gift ideas and a good place to enjoy a Saturday morning alfresco brunch. Enquiries at 031 208 1264.
* Food Market Night Christmas Market, Hellenic Community Centre, 6 High Grove, Umgeni Park, Durban North, on December 19 from 4pm to 9pm. More than 40 local food stalls selling locally produced cheese, herbs, paté, fudge, preserves, pickles, coffee, confectionery, tarts, olives, biltong, veggies and more. Enquiries: Nick or Terrilyn at 031 563 3877.
* Shongweni Farmers and Craft Annual Christmas Market, 1 Fraser Road, Assagay, on December 16 from 9am to 4pm. The market will feature a range of handmade crafts and Christmas decor, interesting gift ideas and an array of fresh farm produce and food. Visit www.shongwenimarket.co.za
* Wonder Market, Chris Saunders Park, uMhlanga on December 14 from 9am to 3pm. Crafts, Christmas gifts and foods. Enquiries: 079 747 7661.
* African Art Centre Christmas Exhibition, 94 Florida Road, Durban, daily until January 15. Beaded, embroidered and felt Christmas tree ornaments, beaded tableware, recycled cards and ornaments, jewellery, ceramics, telephone wire products and more, made by some of the 600 crafters supported by the centre. Enquires: 031 312 3805.
* Buzzart, KZNSA Gallery, Bulwer Road, Durban, until January 11. Tuesday to Friday 9am to 5pm, Saturday 9am to 4pm and Sunday 10am to 3pm. Special trading on December 15, 16 and 22. Gifts, Christmas decor, paintings, photography, jewellery, books, music, fashion, ceramics. Enquiries: 031 277 1705.
* Karkloof Farmers Christmas Markets, KZN Midlands, on December 13 and 20 from 7am to 11pm. Locally grown foods and Christmas gifts. Market tomorrow from 5.30pm to 9pm, with carols at 7pm. Enquiries: Kim at 082 851 8649.
* Top Markets Christmas Fair
South Coast – Douglas Mitchell Sports Ground, Uvongo until January 11.
North Coast – Exhibition Centre, 8 Moffat Drive, Ballito, to Sunday January 4 from 9am to 6pm. Closed on Christmas Day and New Year’s day.