ANC NEC Top 6 Picture: Motshwari Mofokeng/African News Agency
ANC NEC Top 6 Picture: Motshwari Mofokeng/African News Agency

ANC’S FACES OF GRAFT: Will they all step aside?

By Thabo Makwakwa Time of article published Apr 14, 2021

Share this article:

DURBAN - THE Secretary-General of the ANC, Ace Magashule, has instructed ANC provinces to submit names of all party members facing allegations and charges of corruption/crimes by the end of business on Thursday.

In what is set to be one of the most calamitous political upheavals in recent history, the ANC is set to face off in another round of confrontations and blows when the dreaded list of ANC members facing allegations or charges of corruption makes its way to Luthuli House.

This comes after the ANC National Executive Committee (NEC) had its meeting and reaffirmed the resolutions of the 54th National Conference on fighting crime and corruption within the ruling party.

In a leaked letter addressed to all ANC structures, Magashule, who is also accused of corruption, wrote to provinces indicating that the resolutions will be implemented in line with the guidelines and procedures adopted by the NEC at its meeting on February 13-14.

Political analyst Prof Seepe said that the call will affect many people and will likely be rejected by senior ANC leaders like Gwede Mantashe.

“Already a list is circulating of many senior leaders who are implicated or alleged to have been involved in corruption, some of them belong in the ‘step-aside brigade’,” Seepe said.

Ralf Mathega said Magashule’s letter has certainly widened the net.

“The step-aside resolution will become unimplementable. Magashule is making this almost impractical to implement. Half the party is facing problems.”

Independent political analyst Aubrey Matshiqi, on the other hand, said Magashule was implementing a resolution and not expressing a personal wish.

“The letter is interesting because he is one of the parties the letter refers to. The 30 days resolution means nothing if members are not going to comply. This is an attempt to kick the can down the road - what if a member refuses to step aside,” said Matshiqi.

ANC spokesperson Pule Mabe on Tuesday asked to be contacted at a later stage when asked to comment on the memo while Magashule’s phone rang unanswered as this paper tried to establish if the provinces had adhered to the memo and how many had submitted names so far.

ANC President Cyril Ramaphosa, chairperson Gwede Mantashe and Secretary-General Ace Magashule respectively face allegations of corruption.

Several other senior ANC leaders are also facing allegations of corruption and are expected to step aside. Will the alleged, charged or convicted ANC member step aside?

President Cyril Ramaphosa. Picture: Siyabulela Duda

CYRIL RAMAPHOSA is facing allegations of interfering with Eskom. Former Eskom chief executive Brian Molefe implicated Ramaphosa at the state capture inquiry. Ramaphosa was a shareholder at the Glencore mining company doing business with the utility. Molefe also said Ramaphosa was to blame for the current bouts of load shedding. Ramaphosa is also accused of vote buying. He allegedly used over R1billion to campaign and buy votes towards the 2017 Nasrec ANC Conference. He also faces allegations of colluding with business mogul Johann Rupert.

David Mabuza. Picture: Elmond Jiyane, GCIS

DAVID MABUZA has been accused of corruption and involvement in tender fraud and being behind the assassination of political opponents while he was the premier of Mpumalanga. In 2010, rumours were doing the rounds about kickbacks paid out during the awarding of construction tenders for the R1.2bn stadium in the provincial capital of Nelspruit (Mbombela).

Gwede Mantashe. Photographer:Phando Jikelo / African News Agency (ANA)

GWEDE MANTASHE stands accused of a litany of allegations including bribing journalists, money laundering involving Bidvest and Eskom and being on the Bosasa payroll. Mantashe faces separate allegations of corruption and fraud against his foundation.

Ace Magashule. Picture: Itumeleng English/African News Agency(ANA)

ACE MAGASHULE faces corruption and fraud charges related to an asbestos contract during his tenure as Free State premier.

Mondli Gungubele. Picture: Oupa Mokoena/African News Agency (ANA)

MONDLI GUNGUBELE is accused of complicity in corruption at the Public Investment Corporation.

Khumbudzo Ntshavheni. Picture: AWN.CO.ZA

KHUMBUDZO NTSHAVHENI was found guilty of inflating tender prices when she was municipal manager at Ba-Phalaborwa municipality. She is also accused of facilitating vote-buying during the last conference of the ANC.

David Masondo. Picture: Moloko Moloto

DAVID MASONDO is alleged to be part of a cabal that milked and collapsed the Treasury of Limpopo with Cassel Mathale.

Fikile Mbalula. Picture: GCIS Tshedimosetso House

FIKILE MBALULA was found guilty of violating the executive Ethics Act and the Constitution by asking Sascoc sporting goods supplier to help him pay for his 2016 family holiday in Dubai.

Zizi Kodwa. Picture: Karen Sandison/African News Agency (ANA)

ZIZI KODWA is accused of receiving bribes from Bosasa and IT company EOH.

Dr Blade Nzimande.

BLADE NZIMANDE is accused of allegations of capturing Seta, the National Students Financial Aid Scheme and the Department of Higher Education and Training, and also for illegally hiring people at his previous ministerial department of Transport.

Khusela Diko. File picture

KHUSELA DIKO faces allegations of interference after Diko’s late husband, Amabhaca King Madzikane II Thandisizwe Diko, was awarded tenders to the tune of R125million by the Gauteng Department of Health to supply personal protective equipment (PPE). Diko is a member of the Gauteng ANC provincial committee.

Oscar Mabuyane. Photo: ANC Eastern Cape

OSCAR MABUYANE is accused of allegedly paying bribes to a university official who had registered him despite his not meeting the requirements at Fort Hare University.

Mike Mabuyakhulu. File picture

MIKE MABUYAKHULU faces charges of fraud‚ corruption and money laundering relating to the multi-million figure paid by the provincial government in 2012 for the North Sea Jazz Festival to have been held in 2013‚ but which never happened.

Zandile Gumede. Picture: Doctor Ngcobo/African News Agency (ANA)

ZANDILE GUMEDE is an accused in the multimillion-rand Durban Solid Waste (DSW) fraud and corruption case. The state alleges the looting of the R320 million (excluding VAT) DSW tender in 2017 was carried out under the guise of radical economic transformation.

Dr Zweli Mkhize

ZWELI MKHIZE is accused of having received bribes. He allegedly benefited from Covid-19 tenders that the Department of Health had issued at more than R82 million.

– Additional reporting by politics.

Share this article: