File picture: Pixabay
File picture: Pixabay

Family in shock after charges dropped against 13-yr-old girl accused of bludgeoning gran to death

By Anelisa Kubheka Time of article published Nov 18, 2020

Share this article:

Durban - A YEAR ago today, a 63-year-old oThongathi woman was bludgeoned to death with a hammer in her home.

This week, the charges against her alleged killer, her 13-year-old granddaughter, were withdrawn.

A relative of the dead woman said the investigating officer contacted them on Monday informing them the matter had been withdrawn against the Grade 8 pupil.

Read: Husband goes to shop returns home to find wife, 63, bludgeoned to death

National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) spokesperson Natasha Kara said she would respond to the Daily News as soon as “we have a response on the status of the matter”.

The grandmother’s son said the family was shocked to learn that the case had been withdrawn. He said that the investigating officer told them the reason given was that the girl was unfit to stand trial.

Read more: BREAKING NEWS: 13-year-old arrested for allegedly bludgeoning Tongaat gran to death

“If the case is being withdrawn, it sends a message that she is innocent, which is strange because we had thought the NPA had a solid case.

“When they say ‘unfit for trial’, what does that mean, because she has never had any mental issues? She was like any other 13-year-old in Grade 8. This case will be used by others in court in future to defend themselves. This decision promotes violence by youngsters against the elderly,” he said.

The woman was murdered in her home after she was left alone with her two-year-old grandchild and her teen granddaughter.

Daily News

Share this article: