Port Elizabeth – Disgraced former tennis pro Bob Hewitt is set to hand himself over to authorities at St Albans prison in Port Elizabeth on Tuesday.

Hewitt is expected to start his six-year jail term for the rape and sexual assault of three teenage girls who were his tennis students in the 1980’s and 90’s.

It is just over a week since the Constitutional Court denied the 76-year-old leave to appeal the length of his jail term.

Women And Men Against Child Abuse advocacy group said that Hewitt approached the State for permission to hand himself in at the St Albans Correctional Facility, which is close to his home at Addo.

This was approved by the Johannesburg High Court due to Hewitt’s ailing health and his inability to travel the distance to Johannesburg.

WAMACA Director, Miranda Friedmann said that she along with an advocacy team would fly from Johannesburg on Tuesday to be at St Albans when Hewitt hands himself in.

“When Hewitt’s victims started this fight the odds were stacked against them. Our organisation has been with them throughout. I’ve seen their courage first-hand, as well as the toll the process has taken. Seeing Hewitt behind bars will be a victory for them,” said Friedmann.

One of Hewitt’s victims, Theresa ‘Twiggy’ Tolken, said that she had been waiting for justice for a very long time.

“My mother and I have been waiting for tomorrow [Tuesday] for a very long time. I just wish my dad was around to witness this day. Bob Hewitt has tried to evade justice and tried anything at his disposal to stay out of jail for the past few years! He has continually lied about his despicable actions,” said Tolken.

“The truth always catches up with you and hopefully this is a lesson for other paedophiles out there, don’t ever think you are above the law, you will be caught.

“To all the other victims, don’t be afraid to speak up, there are people and organisations like Women And Men Against Child Abuse out there who will hold you up and support you through your ordeal.”

African News Agency