Durban — A man who was identified as the one speaking on a controversial voice clip calling on IFP-led uThukela district municipality not to deliver services to the ANC-led wards has denied the allegations.
Speaking to the Daily News on Monday, Siphiwe Nxumalo denied it was him speaking on the clip. He had been identified by uThukela district municipality councillor and the National People’s Assembly leader Nkosinathi Mthethwa, who said Nxumalo contested ward 21 under the IFP in 2021 local government elections but lost to ANC candidate, adding that the ward is in Steadville township under Alfred Duma Local Municipality.
Nxumalo demanded to know who put the voice recording on social media and asked the Daily News to reveal its source. He denied that he is an IFP member and that he was an employee of the municipality. Nxumalo said he was self-employed.
Mthethwa said Nxumalo was lying if he denied that he is an employee of the district municipality. He added that Nxumalo is an active member of the IFP.
“Tell him you spoke to me and I told you that he is working for the district municipality. I personally know him as I am a councillor in the same municipality he is working for,” said Mthethwa.
The municipality spokesperson, Jabulani Mkhonza, said the number of the person would be needed to check whether he was employed in the municipality or not.
On Sunday, the IFP distanced itself from the man, saying the party would investigate and take action if the man on the clip was its member.
IFP regional chairperson Mbuzeleni Mkhize said what was said in the clip was absurd since there was no ward where the IFP did not get votes, and he questioned how the IFP-led municipality was going to implement what was being asked for by the man on the clip.