In May 2018, hundreds of angry residents marched to Chatsworth police station following the death of young Sadia Sukhraj. Picture: Karinda Jagmohan

Durban - The Independent Police Investigative Directorate has wrapped up its investigation into the events that unfolded outside the Chatsworth police station when police used stun grenades to disperse residents.

In May this year, hundreds of residents marched to the police station demanding for increased police patrols following the death of Sadia Sukhraj. She was shot in an apparent botched hijacking earlier in the day on May 28, just a few metres away from her grandparents’ home.

The girl’s death sparked outrage in the community with residents marching to the police station.

It is alleged that police responded using stun grenades and tear gas to disperse the crowd.

An Imbizo was held between residents and Minister of police, Bheki Cele.

Ipid spokesperson, Moses Dlamini, said the community raised concerns about the heavy-handed actions of the police and the high levels of crime in Bottlebrush, Chatsworth and Shallcross.

He said Cele established a fact-finding committee comprised of members from the Civilian Secretariat for Police (CSPS, the Department of Community Safety and Liaison, and Ipid..

Dlamini said the gathering was borne out of frustration and the community was seeking answers from senior police officers.

“Instead of being given answers, the community was met with stun grenades and rubber bullets and some community members were injured and about 20 people were arrested,” he said.

Dlamini said a Fact-Finding Committee was set up that invited residents to make written submissions.

“A number of statements were received and interviews with those of the affected community who came forward were conducted. The investigative team also received statements from police and metro police. The team is  conducting one-on-one interviews with everyone and feedback will be given to the community in due course,” Dlamini said.

Daily News