Independent Online

Friday, August 12, 2022

Like us on FacebookFollow us on TwitterView weather by locationView market indicators

Here are the charges four suspects face for the alleged murder of an ANC eThekwini councillor

Murdered ward 101 ANC candidate Siyabonga Mkhize

Murdered ward 101 ANC candidate Siyabonga Mkhize

Published May 31, 2022

Share

Durban - The four men who were fingered in the murder of an eThekwini Municipality ward councillor and ANC member will appear in court for an official bail hearing on June 24.

The four, Nkosinathi Emmanuel Nkosi Mlomo Ngcobo, Sandile Mzizi, Mkhipheni Mzimuni “Muzi” Ngiba and Sfiso Vincent Mlondo, face six charges related to the murders of ward councillor Siyabonga Mkhize and Mzukisi Nyanga in October last year. Two others were wounded in the attack in which the pair were gunned down after an election rally.

Story continues below Advertisement

National Prosecuting Authority regional spokesperson Natasha Ramkisson-Kara said the four men appeared in the Durban Magistrate’s Court last week in connection with the murders.

They face the following charges:

  • Conspiracy to commit murder.
  • Two counts of murder.
  • Two counts of attempted murder.
  • Unlawful possession of a firearm and ammunition.

“The matter was postponed to June 24 for a formal bail application. This date was agreed upon by all parties as it is the only date when both the State and defence counsel are available,” Ramkisson-Kara said.

Councillor Ngiba, a senior member of the ANC in eThekwini, has been behind bars for almost a week.

His arrest was kept under wraps until the weekend when information was leaked that he had been arrested for the alleged criminal offence. Ngiba is from ward 101, which includes the Cato Manor informal settlement and parts of Mayville township.

The murders raised fears that more councillors would be killed before the elections. There were also killings in other provinces.

Story continues below Advertisement

Daily News

Share