Durban - Employees at Pietermaritzburg’s Fort Napier Medico-Legal Mortuary, arrested for contravening a court order earlier this week, have been released on a warning.
The group were arrested following a go-slow at the mortuary spanning almost three weeks.
Despite numerous warnings from the Department of Health for them to return to work, the group refused.
KwaZulu-Natal Department of Health spokesperson, Ncumisa Mafunda, said the employees were told, by the Labour Court, to get back to work or face being re-arrested.
“The case was adjourned to February 8, 2019, on condition that they return to work and begin to function optimally.
“The department will be closely monitoring the situation,” she said.
Meanwhile, at least 16 employees at the Gale Street Medico-Legal Mortuary in Durban are due to appear in court on Wednesday.
Mafunda said the department has issued apologies to families who have been left stranded by the go-slow.
She added that they are continuing with their contingency plan to ensure that funerals can still take place timeously.
“We are also doing our best to assist the bereaved families. Arrangements have been made to transport bereaved family members to facilities where their loved ones’ mortal remains are being kept, where necessary,” Mafunda said.
In the meantime, members of the public who wish to enquire about the progress of the autopsies of their loved ones are urged to contact the KZN Health Provincial Operations Centre on Toll Free: 0800 005 133, and supply the necessary details.
They will be requested to leave their details, and will be contacted and given an update.