Julius Malema’s legal team lodged his appeal on Wednesday against his expulsion from the ANC.
A representative of Cyril Ramaphosa’s office confirmed the appeal had been lodged with the party’s national disciplinary committee of appeals.
Mbali Nkosi, PA to Ramaphosa, who heads the committee, could not comment further.
Nkosi could not confirm whether ANC Youth League spokesman Floyd Shivambu – who was suspended for three years – had lodged an appeal with Malema.
League secretary-general Sindiso Magaqa sought to avoid suspension by complying on Sunday with an order to apologise for disparaging remarks he made about Public Enterprises Minister Malusi Gigaba. Gigaba said he would wait to see whether the national disciplinary committee accepted the apology before doing so himself.
Malema was given until the close of business on Wednesday to appeal against the decision of the disciplinary committee earlier this month to expel him for sowing divisions in the party.
Nkosi did not know when the appeal hearing would be held.
In an interview broadcast on SABC TV on Sunday, Malema pleaded with the ANC not to expel him, saying the party was his life. He said the prospect of being outside the party was “too scary” and that he had nothing else “except the ANC”.
He denied sowing divisions in the party and maintained he did nothing wrong by calling for the nationalisation of mines and for white-owned land to be seized. He also denied involvement in corruption by using his political rank to facilitate the awarding of government tenders to business allies.
Should his appeal fail, Malema could still win a reprieve if a member of the ANC national executive committee petitions it to review the matter and the NEC agrees to do so.
If that bid fails, his allies in the party could also raise the issue at the ANC’s national conference in Mangaung in December.