DURBAN - TRANSNET has announced that it has made significant progress in restoring its IT systems, with most of its applications up by Monday, following last week’s cyberattack on its systems.
Spokesperson Ayanda Shezi said Transnet expected that some applications might continue to run slowly over the next few days, while monitoring continued.
“All operating systems will be brought back in a staggered manner, to minimise further risks and interruptions.”
Shezi said controls had been developed, in conjunction with the shipping lines and Sars’s customs division, to ensure safe clearance and evacuation of each container.
She said that at the ports, each container terminal had communicated its transition plan from manual operation to the full Navis-driven operation.
“The terminals are berthing vessels as planned and facilitating loading and discharge operations with the shipping lines. We will continue to work directly with shipping lines in order to facilitate maximum import evacuation and further exports planned for future vessels.”
Shezi said a force majeure, which was communicated by Transnet to its customers on July 22, would be lifted soon.
She said salaries of Transnet employees had been processed on schedule; and it had honoured its obligation to employees.
“The business continuity plans have enabled Transnet Freight Rail to continue utilising manual back-up operations, and run trains as planned. We wish to assure stakeholders and customers that all processes followed allow for the safe operation of trains,”
Shezi requested that customers with cross-border traffic and where the Sars clearance process was applicable, submit hard copies of the Sars clearance documentation with their consignment noted at the terminals.
She said that would assist in the manual system application to authorise the departure of trains. A further update would be provided once full operations resumed, and Transnet would continue to engage and collaborate with affected customers.
Road Freight Association chief executive Gavin Kelly expressed dismay and concern at the attack, saying the road freight operators had a huge backlog resulting from the civil unrest earlier this month.
Kelly said that if the matter was not addressed urgently, the non-functioning of the ports will be yet another reason why international traders and shippers would choose other ports in Africa through which to move goods.