The eThekwini executive committee has approved R30 million to repair damage caused by the recent storms
The eThekwini executive committee has approved R30 million to repair damage caused by the recent storms

R30m approved for #DurbanStorm repairs

By CHRIS NDALISO Time of article published Nov 24, 2017

Share this article:

Durban - The eThekwini executive committee approved a R30 million emergency fund for the 2017/18 financial year to repair infrastructural damage caused by last month’s storm which battered the province.

According to a report tabled at an exco sitting at the city hall on Tuesday, the repairs were deemed urgent, to mitigate the threat to life, property and additional cost from consequential damages and to restore essential services.

While many parts of eThekwini were affected by the storm, the southern areas were said to be the worst affected. Such areas include eManzimtoti, KwaDabeka, parts of uMlazi, Isipingo, Montclair, Jacobs, Clairwood, Bluff, Chesterville, Malvern, Queensburgh, Glenwood.

The estimated total cost for the already identified emergency and urgent projects is just over R308m and, depending on the outcome of the engagement between the provincial and the National treasury, some funds may be provided to eThekwini for emergency work.

Read: No funds to repair #DurbanStorm damage

Watch: Isipingo families lose everything in #DurbanStorm

Should the city fail to adequately respond to the emergency work identified during the damage assessment, then the city may be liable for costs from consequential damages arising, the report says.

The DA leader in KZN, Zwakele Mncwango, commenting on a different agenda item - the youth programme planned for R25m - asked: “Economically is it logical to spend this amount of money for the programme?

Also read: #DurbanStorm wrecks police forensics

#DurbanStorm damage now at R576m

“ just had communities left devastated by the storm, so is it not the time to channel the funds to assist the affected? About 2 000 people are homeless and hundreds of shacks were washed away,” Mncwango protested.

eThekwini mayor Zandile Gumede said this report was speaking to the next phase of addressing the storm damage.

ANC councillor Barbara Fortein said: “We have been doing these programmes so I say let’s just push ahead. We need to empower women, we need to empower the youth and these programmes will do that. They are not just one-day events,” she said.

Daily News

Share this article: