Durban - South Africans currently held in Chinese prisons for allegedly violating visa regulations will be deported back to SA.
The Department of International Relations and Co-operation (Dirco) announced that the Tristan-Lee Niemand and another six South Africans are expected to be home for Christmas.
They are expected to arrive from December 21.
Niemand, 19, was detained in Nanjing City since November last year and her father, together with Dirco, have been working tirelessly to bring her home, the Cape Times reported.
The South African mission in Shanghai informed the Minister of International Relations and Cooperation Lindiwe Sisulu of the recent developments.
The arrangement is that the school that employed the seven as English teachers should provide the return tickets for the flight on which they are to be deported, said Dirco.
The minister has also been informed that another eight South Africans who have been in distress in Zhejiang Province will be deported on December 23, 2018 and arrangements for their travel will be coordinated as soon as they are released.
The minister has once again appealed to South Africans planning to travel to China and other countries to ensure they have the correct Visas and required travel documents.
“I am happy that the ordeal is over for the families, again we urge our young people to make sure they have correct documents and to contact the embassies to verify any information they receive from recruitment agencies”, Sisulu said.