As the decision to not publish matric results for 2021 in digital and print platforms was overruled in court, an anxious matric class of 2021 would now be able to view their results in the newspaper on Friday morning as per tradition.
The court’s ruling states that the publication of results should not reflect the first names and surnames of the pupils. The published results will be listed by exam number, as was the case last year.
While many are celebrating the court’s decision, others are disappointed and anxious. The publication of results has long been a South African tradition and previously included names of learners, as well as their schools. This public display of results has been a topic of debate for many years among education stakeholders, as it can be embarrassing for those who attain poor results or fail.
Learners and their parents can also obtain their statement of results from the schools they attended.
Here are some helpful and important numbers to keep at hand if you are feeling disappointed and anxious about your matric results.
- Lifeline National Counselling Line: 0800 567 567
- Lifeline Johannesburg – Norwood: 011 728 1347
- South African Depression and Anxiety Group: 011 262 6396 or 0800 567 567
- Suicide Helpline: 0800 567 567 or SMS: 31393
- Mental Health: 011 262 6396
- National Department of Education: 012 312 5911
- Gauteng Department of Education: 011 355 0000
- Limpopo Department of Education: 015 290 7602/9315/7802