Disgraced Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein. Picture: Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP, File

Harvey Weinstein is suing The Weinstein Company so he can get access to emails, which he says will "exonerate" him after a number of sexual harassment claims were made against him.

The producer — who was sacked by the company earlier this month — has claimed there are messages on there that will absolve him from the sexual harassment claims made against him.

The lawsuit — which was filed in Delaware on Thursday — reads: "Mr Weinstein believes that his email account - which is the primary, if not only, account he used during the term of his employment by the company - will contain information exonerating him, and therefore the company, from claims that may be asserted against him or the company ... Mr Weinstein seeks no more than to be able to have access to the same information as his brother [Bob] does to prevent further harm to the company."

It comes after Harvey's brother Bob revealed he is calling for the 65-year-old producer to lose his ownership interest in The Weinstein Company.

Referring to Harvey's plan to fight his firing, Bob said: "Anybody can do what they want to do. I cannot control other people's actions. But he was fired by the board, okay? I was on that board. I fired him. He can fight. It will be a losing fight ...

"That is correct [that he has ownership interest in the company] and we are going to seek to sever that. It can't be done that quickly. But I am on it 24/7 and so is David Glasser and so is the board of directors that remain and so are the shareholders. This is being dealt with."

Harvey — who co-founded The Weinstein Company with his brother Bob in 2005 — has denied all allegations of non-consensual sex made against him.



Watch the latest celeb news: